A ~19,000 Gallon Fish Tank

paulyd1978

I would have quite the mangrove swamp in that refugium!
Are you using natural sunlight for this setup? I would! Just need some heavy duty chillers, which you probably would anyhow. Looks like it's gonna be the ultimate reef tank.

bms

SUBSCRIBED and will be following along! this is one of the coolest projects ive seen here on SWF. I Think adding a refugium to this tank is an necessity. you are not planning on using any other kind of filtration other than large water changes with ocean water? i believe that is what i got out of the thread but i will go over it again. i think a 3000 gallon refugium would work great for that setup (because a refugium is in itself a living filter) especially if you add a Deep Sand Bed (DSB) to be your main source of nitrate export, as well as a place to grow macro algae for nutrient export, pH stabilization (if ran on a reverse photoperiod) and even to feed to your hungry tangs and angels (assuming you will be keeping these), however it could maybe be a little bigger (Maybe 20% total). IMO once you get to a tank that size though, and you have a large amount of flow going through your system already, 3000 gallons would work fine although i have read that the ideal size is around 20% for the home aquaria. maybe you could contact some kind of zoo or aquarium biologist and explain to them what you are doing and give them the size of your tank and ask what they would recommend for a refugium or if you need something else or even need one at all. i would think it would be a good idea because you could have like a water heater sized protein skimmer hooked up to it that would pull all kinds of skimmate/junk floating around out to clear up your water and keep your tank from developing that nasty oily film on the surface.. If you are pulling your saltwater into the tank directly from the ocean, even going at a deeper depth, i would imagine that you would probably still be sucking in detritus and other impurities including chunks of seaweed. i would imagine with a tank that large you would probably have quite the bioload being produced as well on a daily basis from your fish and inverts etc..alone so any kind of filtration like a DSB refugium would tremendously help out. With a 3000 gallon refugium thats about 15-16% volume of your water. Thats a great sized refugium. Many at home aquarists have a setup with a sump and built in refugium thats lets say 20-50% volume of their total tank. Now subtract the volume of space for the sump and return pump and you've probably got a space of around 10-30% depending on this particular persons setup. Even so, we are talking about a completely different sized scale here. with a system that large and a nice set of return pumps you could cycle much more gallons per hour through your tank with the correct plumbing setup. And you could have the sickest refugium ever! i would DEFINATELY go with a DSB and grow macro algae in there as well as have a separate clean up crew of its own and you could even keep smaller fish or fish that would be considered dinner to many larger and more aggressive fish in your main display tank. i am going to pm you a message right now about some other info. hope this turns out as awesome as it looks so far! and im sure it will! goodluck to yah.

bms

Originally Posted by nahham
http:///forum/post/3185617
Thanks for the question. I haven't thought of it seriously and this is why we are starting with fish, sand, and live rock. I kinda had a change of heart and am thinking of running the 2 pumps continuously which should give me around 80,000 g/h rate meaning the water will change 4 times an hour. Do you think this will be enough or should I think of additional ways for water movement?
First of all this has nothing to do with this post or the quote but i think that the seating on top as well as the shade that will produce is an amazing idea. that will dramatically reduce the heat taken on by the water even on the hottest days AND provide a beautiful view of the tank from above. i would recommend those floating glass "viewers" (maybe like a 2 foot x 2 foot or larger or even a variety so you can see the true colors of the fish) would be a great idea. they use them at my LFS in their frag tanks and its like looking into the water with a pair of goggles but from the top view.
Now back to the quote:
There are two concerns you should have with your tank:
1.) your turn over rate
2.) your flow rate.
Turn Over Rate
is the amount of water being circulated through your tank per hour.
without any kind of mechanical filtration, like you said with your current setup in mind, you are looking at about 4.2 GPH "turn over rate". the ideal turnover rate recommended is between 4 and 6 gallons per hour up to 6 to 10 gph (home aquaria is even less, maybe 2-3 times per hour) so it seems you have an acceptable turn over rate. my only concern is, of course depending on the type of aquarium you decide to have and the types of fish and coral if you go that route, is whether or not having a constant pump(s) cycling water from the ocean into your tank would be the best route. [and the main reason for this is because 1.) i dont know the type of water around there--whether it be tropical or colder water like here in california--which would not work for a delicate reef system and 2.) at 80,000 GPH you are going to be introducing all kinds of hitchhikers into your tank probably some desirable and most likely many undesirable]. I know you said this worked fine for keeping the fish you farmed which seem like a fish one would maybe eat and are much hardier and can tolerate these kind of waters especially if this is a local environment for these fish, but you have to remember these tropical fish you are adding are going to need water kept at pristine conditions and may not be able to tolerate this large of a water change on a constant basis. think this would be an acceptable and probably your only option for doing water changes as this is such a large volume of water to have to change at once time or even several times a week/month. but if possible i would look into some kind of large scale mechanical filtration or huge wet/dry canister filter that would enable you to keep the water in there and cycle it through your pumps and filtration system which would enable you to keep it somewhere around 4 times per hour.
Flow Rate
is the amount of water flowing through your tank per hour. Many people confuse this with turnover rate but this is the amount of water movement you have going through your tank per hour via use of powerheads, pumps, etc.. You want to have enough flow through the tank so that you dont have any "deadspots" [Good test which be hard and tedious in a tank like yours is to tie a lightweight string like sewing thread to a stick and moving it throughout the tank in all the corners, etc..to make sure there are no spots the thread goes limp..Like i said in a previous post, im sure an aquarium--like Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, Ca (which obviously you dont have access to just heading down there and talking to a biologist there)--would have tons of info they would be willing to point you in the right direction. i mean obviously you couldnt throw a couple Koralia 3's in there LOL but i noticed that even in their largest tanks i mean HUGE tanks i could see holes in the rockwork that had powerheads inside of them circulating water around the tanks and through the crevices literally not leaving a single deadspot. Their tanks are STUNNING! The ideal flow rate through a tank is around 10x and for a reef tank is more like 30x the volume of your tank per hour, so you are looking at some heavy duty powerheads and/or quite a few or them or whatever type of water movers you decide to use. Good luck again. hope this helps and hope your project is coming along great!

t316

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3216122
I was wondering how you will deal with potential vandalism?
+1...Funny you should bring that up, I was thinking this very thing on Page 1 when I saw the pics of the Bay. I was envisioning some bored kid on one of the boats or on one of the balconys trying out his pellet gun...

nahham

Originally Posted by bms
http:///forum/post/3216004
SUBSCRIBED and will be following along! this is one of the coolest projects ive seen here on SWF. I Think adding a refugium to this tank is an necessity. you are not planning on using any other kind of filtration other than large water changes with ocean water? i believe that is what i got out of the thread but i will go over it again. i think a 3000 gallon refugium would work great for that setup (because a refugium is in itself a living filter) especially if you add a Deep Sand Bed (DSB) to be your main source of nitrate export, as well as a place to grow macro algae for nutrient export, pH stabilization (if ran on a reverse photoperiod) and even to feed to your hungry tangs and angels (assuming you will be keeping these), however it could maybe be a little bigger (Maybe 20% total). IMO once you get to a tank that size though, and you have a large amount of flow going through your system already, 3000 gallons would work fine although i have read that the ideal size is around 20% for the home aquaria. maybe you could contact some kind of zoo or aquarium biologist and explain to them what you are doing and give them the size of your tank and ask what they would recommend for a refugium or if you need something else or even need one at all. i would think it would be a good idea because you could have like a water heater sized protein skimmer hooked up to it that would pull all kinds of skimmate/junk floating around out to clear up your water and keep your tank from developing that nasty oily film on the surface.. If you are pulling your saltwater into the tank directly from the ocean, even going at a deeper depth, i would imagine that you would probably still be sucking in detritus and other impurities including chunks of seaweed. i would imagine with a tank that large you would probably have quite the bioload being produced as well on a daily basis from your fish and inverts etc..alone so any kind of filtration like a DSB refugium would tremendously help out. With a 3000 gallon refugium thats about 15-16% volume of your water. Thats a great sized refugium. Many at home aquarists have a setup with a sump and built in refugium thats lets say 20-50% volume of their total tank. Now subtract the volume of space for the sump and return pump and you've probably got a space of around 10-30% depending on this particular persons setup. Even so, we are talking about a completely different sized scale here. with a system that large and a nice set of return pumps you could cycle much more gallons per hour through your tank with the correct plumbing setup. And you could have the sickest refugium ever! i would DEFINATELY go with a DSB and grow macro algae in there as well as have a separate clean up crew of its own and you could even keep smaller fish or fish that would be considered dinner to many larger and more aggressive fish in your main display tank. i am going to pm you a message right now about some other info. hope this turns out as awesome as it looks so far! and im sure it will! goodluck to yah.
Thank you very much for the information. Just a quick question: When you say DSB, how deep are we talking? In the current design I have a space for around .5 meters (~ 1.5 ft) of sand. Is this deep enough?
As for the size of the refugium, we can certainly expand it a bit to be around 4500 - 5000 gallons. Also, mangrove is easy to get by around here, and we were planning to plant in front of the house, it would be easy to get it for the refugium as well.
As for skimmers, can you recommend something? I looked around and found this. Any other brands models that might work in this setup? I am thinking maybe 2 skimmers with a rate of 12,000 gallons is better than one with a rate 20,000 gallons just for the redundancy.

nahham

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3216175
+1...Funny you should bring that up, I was thinking this very thing on Page 1 when I saw the pics of the Bay. I was envisioning some bored kid on one of the boats or on one of the balconys trying out his pellet gun...

That will have to be a very good pellet gun. Here is a drawing of the location of the aquarium in our 'backyard'.

The sides are being closed down to the edge of the deep water and there are walls all around except the water front. Disregard the design of the 'backyard' its just an idea and its being changed. :)

nahham

Originally Posted by Paulyd1978
http:///forum/post/3215653
I would have quite the mangrove swamp in that refugium!
Are you using natural sunlight for this setup? I would! Just need some heavy duty chillers, which you probably would anyhow. Looks like it's gonna be the ultimate reef tank.

Natural lighting would be the main source of lighting. I am also planning to install lights inside the tank for night-viewing.

nahham

Originally Posted by bms
http:///forum/post/3216010
i would recommend those floating glass "viewers" (maybe like a 2 foot x 2 foot or larger or even a variety so you can see the true colors of the fish) would be a great idea. they use them at my LFS in their frag tanks and its like looking into the water with a pair of goggles but from the top view.
Since I'm sure you are at your LFS often, can you please take a photo of the "viewers" of which you are speaking of; I'll definitely try to replicate it here.

t316

Originally Posted by nahham
http:///forum/post/3216606
That will have to be a very good pellet gun. Here is a drawing of the location of the aquarium in our 'backyard'.

The sides are being closed down to the edge of the deep water and there are walls all around except the water front. Disregard the design of the 'backyard' its just an idea and its being changed. :)
It's the "waterfront" that I would be most concerned with. I agree, a pellet gun wouldn't even chip glass this thick, but there are many possibilities. I would consider a cover or plywood barricade to move in front of the water side each night after shut down.

t316

What are the four structures in the last drawing? Are these houses, or restaurants, condos? Is this a private park area? You said "backyard", but whose backyard is this?

dc2mlbsm

http:///forum/post/3217132
What are the four structures in the last drawing? Are these houses, or restaurants, condos? Is this a private park area? You said "backyard", but whose backyard is this?
i believe it is his and his 3 neighboors

nahham

http:///forum/post/3217132
It is our
backyard; me and my brothers :)

nahham

http:///forum/post/3217130
It's the "waterfront" that I would be most concerned with. I agree, a pellet gun wouldn't even chip glass this thick, but there are many possibilities. I would consider a cover or plywood barricade to move in front of the water side each night after shut down.
It is quite safe here. We do get the occasional wanderer into the land but this will be rectified soon when the next door land gets built; there will be no access from the street to the water. It is a residential area after all. As for boats, we never had a boat load or unload anything, except ours :). Also, the aquarium and fish farm are totally invisible from the sea. All what people see from the sea is a concrete wall.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would maybe ask Bang Guy about a DSB with the set up you're planning. Not sure it would be a good idea for this setup. DSB are dependent upon sandbed detritivores to operate well, and I'm not sure how practical that would be with what you are planning.
A viable DSB should be 5-6" deep at least.