A baby starfish!

jcarroll

My sister was here a few days ago and found a little baby starfish in my tank! I had never seen it before. I just wondered if someone could enlighten me a little bit about it because I don't know much about the reproduction of starfish. I have a sand sifting starfish, and the baby is definitely the same kind. I haven't put anything new in the tank for a long time, so it's not a hitchhiker. Also, my three shrimp who I've had in the tank for about a year all disappeared! I started looking around for them after they'd been missing for a few days and noticed that I have a TON of these little masses on the back two corners of my tank that look like little baby shrimp! I finally found one of the shrimp while I was searching for them. He was under a rock in the very back corner of the tank. Do shrimp die when they have little babies? I find it so odd that I've only found one of the three shrimp so far.
Just looking for some thoughts and knowledge on this stuff! I guess my tank has become quite the "lover's lane"!!!

reefer545

The baby stars are probably asterina. Good news, adn proves of good signs of life.. They can be a nuisance, but are mostly good scavengers. hte baby shrimp are not very common to grow to adulthood, but possible. Pics would much more helpful. Congrats

michaeltx

the shrimp anything could have happened to them from a bad molt causing them to die off or an illness or really anything. as far as the baby stars are the legs different sizes? I highly doubt that its the and sifter that had babies.
but I agree that they might asterina stars.
Mike

bigarn

If the arms are long and thin I'd say they're mini-brittles. As stated, I doubt they're baby sandsifters.

deltablack22

Originally Posted by bigarn
If the arms are long and thin I'd say they're mini-brittles. As stated, I doubt they're baby sandsifters.
When it comes to hitch hikers, I would trust BigArn if he told me they were little school busses.... This guy is the man...

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
When it comes to hitch hikers, I would trust BigArn if he told me they were little school busses.... This guy is the man...

bigarn

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22

Awww Shucks ..... thanks Delta ...

deltablack22

Originally Posted by bigarn
Awww Shucks ..... thanks Delta ...

Everytime I view one of these posts it reminds me of the day that I posted 3 different threads of hitchikers and within a matter of minutes you commented on all three and told me what they were. Just showin tha love...

ophiura

I agree that it is an Asterina, and full size as well. Not a juvenile of the sand sifter (lucky, since it would die...
).