a big question for the seahorse experts

mboswell1982

hey guys, i finally got a tank, its tiny, only 2.5g, can i keep dwarf horses in it? i plan on building a 2g sump/fuge for it and so on an so forth, and i was wondering if it would be possible to keep dwarfs in it, along with some zoas maybe? can you folks help me out with this question? LOL
the tank dimensions are 12"Lx6"Wx8"H
is it enough for a couple of dwarf horses? an can they be kept with zoas? LOL

Yes, IMO you can keep some in a tank that size but you have to really keep up with the water changes and make sure the temperature stays acceptable (65 to 75 F) and it does not fluctuate. I would say Zoanthids are not ok for the zosterae. They are safe for the larger species of seahorse but will probably sting the seahorses when they hitch on them. The baby dwarfs get eaten by hydras which are really tiny so I assume that the Zoanthids would too.

mboswell1982

hmmm, but im not lookin to breed any, if i get horses, it'll be 2 males or 2 females, not a male/female pair. and what about puttin the zoas at the bottom of the tank, along the sand, and givin the horses hitchin posts outta fake plants like ive seen in some of rykna's pics?

teresaq

I would say NO to the Zoos. I have seen palys grab and eat mysis the size of small dwarfs. these are tiny little horses and even hydoid can sting and kill them. They need a sterile tank to start with. Dry sand, dry rock so nothing gets in.

reefnutpa

I agree with the above opinions. Additionally, a 2.5 gal tank is REEEEALLY difficult to care for as a first dwarf seahorse tank IMO. Years ago when I first started with dwarfs I failed miserably when trying to use small 1 gal or 2 gal tanks. I just couldn't keep water parameters pristine enough with the constant 2-3 times a day feedings of enriched foods. I ended up doing daily water changes, but still had water quality issues. Moral of story - it's really much easier in a larger tank ;)
Tom

mboswell1982

thanks for the input guys, rather than risk the lil dwarf seahorses, they'll be nixed for now til i get more experience an get them a tank that will be good for them