a bold new look!

vibe

heres my tank. i rearranged the rocks, scraped the algae, and cleaned the filter. tell me what you all think.
before:

vibe

my goal was alarger sand bed for my clam and plate. suggestions for anything? im going to the fish store

chris17

ya I agree with footbag I would put it all back too.....
j/m It does look good though.....that is just a 10gal! thats nice man good job! what kind of lights are you using on there???

vibe

im using he 2X40 watt PC moon-lite fixture. (8 watts per gallon if you go by that rule. i dont)

footbag

Looks great. I didn't even realize it was a nano. I'm currently working on my 7g minibow. I am between adding a second PC, or just adding a 70w HQI halide. A halide seems like overkill, but there is room in the canopy that i'm getting. 70w + 36w = 106w over a 7g or 15 WPG. Agree thats a stupid rule!

h2oengr

Footbag/Vibe, what exactly is the rule? :notsure:
I've been struggling to figure this one out. I've only got like 2 watts/gallon with my PCs. Kinda disappointed that I couldn't afford the MHs. I like the ripple effect. :happy:

footbag

The rule is 4 watts per gallon. But 4WPG of NO, PC VHO and MH are all different, with MH having the best growth.

chris17

vibe,
about how much did those cost ya?? I have a few ten gallons sitting around and I would like to set up a nano..If it does not cost me a whole lot.............

krishj39

I am very familiar with the watts/gallon ratio, but I have never heard of a blanket "4 watts per gallon" rule. 4 WPG for what? I don't get it. Is this just an even MORE simplified version of WPG?
Vibe, your tank looks great, I particularly like the plate.

vibe

thanks all for the compments, i love when people compliment my tank:jumping: .
footbag: that would be over kill, but you can put any thing you want in that 7g. im talking clams, everything!
H2OENGR- ok well it all depends on what coral you want to get. (remember i dont personally agree with this rule). there is no universal watts per gallon for the actual type of light. it really depends on the coral. like softies probably need about 2-3 watts per gallon depending on the type of softie. like shrooms. its actually better when they are in a lower lit place because then they increase in size to "reach" for the light. hard corals, lets say an acropora, would need about 8 watts per gallon same for clams and other sps. but my rule is the dimensions of the tank with the intensity of the light. like my light for instance. its 80 watts over a 10 gallon tank. but!, its PC. so basically some corals require the "intensity" of MH for (mainly acros and sps. the only exception i make is clams. mine is doing very well over my lights. thats because even though its PC its still a lot of wattage over such a small tank. let me know if you still dont understand.
chris17- give me your e-mail adress and i can send you a web-site where you can get this light at a great price. 10 gallon tanks rock!
krishj39- thanks i like my plate to, that why i moved my rocks around. he wasnt happy and i knew it was because he did have enough space. he was a real steal. i to him at pet world for $25 monies.
thanks for the compliments all.

vibe

guys i came home from ny for x-mas and my water level was only half filled! it had a crack on the bottom! all my corals are now in my new 120 i will be setting up a new nano tank very soon. i am extremely POed right now

shawnts106

LOOKS GREAT, BUT I WOULD MOVE: the frogspawn up to the middle of the tank and the Xenias to the top ASAP if you want them to thrive! :)
good luck!

spline9

That blows about your cracked tank. You know how it happened? Hope there wasnt much damage/loss.
I believe the main reason why the WPG rule is obselete is because different lighting have different water penetration values, or intensities if you wish. MH are generally hailed as the best because they are the most intense therefore being able to penetrate through more water.
Remember that light travels in straight lines and gets weaker the further it goes. The more stuff it has to travel through, the weaker it gets. WPG would work if light was liquid and could dissolve evenly through water (dont we wish it could do that?)
Apparently the talk is that T5's are the new way to go due to its intensity, energy efficiency, size, heat radiation, price, etc. Personally, I'm considering going T5 from PC's. I'd like to see more testimonials (but to its credit, i have yet to see a negative review on T5's)

vibe

luckly, no losses. infact i found my pistol shrimp. all my corals are in the 120g. i just picked up a new 10g tank today, along with LS, salt mix, and new bio wheel for my emperor. now i have a question. should i use the bio wheel? thanks all and its great to be back on the board!:jumping:

thedude

Nice tank vibe, both setups look good to me, so whatever works best....
I ddint realize it was a nano either :)
The watts per gallon rule is also flakey because watts are a measure of input to the lamp, not output from the lamp. As a result more efficient lights w/ good reflectors can "break the rule", creating less of a watts per gallon-need for 'yer corals n' stuff.
Personally, I'm considering going T5 from PC's. I'd like to see more testimonials (but to its credit, i have yet to see a negative review on T5's)

me too, they look neat don't they? Ive heard rumors of 300 percent efficiency...i hope this means what I think it does

thedude

ouch....just read about the cracked tank..sorry to hear that...but glad you had no losses:happyfish