A book for a beginner

topherice18

I have been hearing a lot of hype about books for beginners, I have been into salt for a while and I think I missed out on some of the basics, I would love some feedback on some good beginner books that might help me catch up.. Thank you

zookeypr12

I havnt read this book but I did see it in the store and I am seriously thinking it may be for me.......saltwater aquariums for dummies.........Not insinuating you need that book but it may help me.....I get lost in all the technical stuff......not an idiot but the simpler it is explained the better chance of me grasping it the first time

f14peter

I believe HatesSushi means THE CONCIENTIOUS MARINE AQUARIST by Fenner, a very good book and probably considered the bible of the hobby.
Another good one I think is THE SIMPLE GUIDE TO MARINE AQUARIUMS by Kurtz.
Both of these books are very informative, and also written in an easy to understand and even entertaining style.
An essential book (to me, anyway) is THE POCKETGUIDE TO MARINE FISHES by Michael. Very much one of those "fieldguide" type books popular with bird enthusiasts, it runs down virtually any fish you'd ever consider. Not brimming with a ton of information about each fish (They usually get one page each), but it does offer some very important information such as compatibility, feeding and habitat requirements, size, etc.
I haven't seen it, but it's my undestanding that the "Dummies..." book isn't all that great.

kmc

The Dummies book does a good job of putting the basics into easy to understand terms. Definitely get the Conscientious Marine Aquarist and the pocket guide books. You go into any LFS and I'll bet you they have a well worn copy of the pocket guides right there by the cash register.

thegrog

Originally Posted by f14peter
I believe HatesSushi means THE CONCIENTIOUS MARINE AQUARIST by Fenner, a very good book and probably considered the bible of the hobby.
Another good one I think is THE SIMPLE GUIDE TO MARINE AQUARIUMS by Kurtz.
Both of these books are very informative, and also written in an easy to understand and even entertaining style.
An essential book (to me, anyway) is THE POCKETGUIDE TO MARINE FISHES by Michael. Very much one of those "fieldguide" type books popular with bird enthusiasts, it runs down virtually any fish you'd ever consider. Not brimming with a ton of information about each fish (They usually get one page each), but it does offer some very important information such as compatibility, feeding and habitat requirements, size, etc.
I haven't seen it, but it's my undestanding that the "Dummies..." book isn't all that great.
I agree with the above 100%.
I have read through some of the dummies book, and don't care for it much.

topherice18

Thang you everyone for your help, I will give all of those books a try, I hope it helps. Everyone here is so helpful, I really appreciate it. Wish me luck!