A Butterfly in my Reef!?

Hello, some of you may have read my post about reef safe butterflies. And i have been calling around to some local stores to see which butterfly they would recomend and i was told a Copper Banded would be my best choice. But i have had them in my past aquarium and they are very hard to care for. So i was wondering if a Thread fin butterfly fish would be ok for my reef? I have researched that they eat stone corals(which i have)but i have found out that they are more easy to take care of than the Copper Banded.Does anyone have any advice. I would really like a butterfly!

thanks~Dex

auroradrvr

Copperbands often eat corals, as do Threadfins.
Looks for a Zoster's or Pyramid Butterflyfish. They are reef safe.

Thanks again AuroraDrvr. But i did a google image search on them, and they arnt very cool looking(sad to say). i was looking for a show piece for my tank. maybe i will have to look at a different type of fish
hopefully not. i will keep looking!

jayson417

Originally Posted by Fish Freak2012
http:///forum/post/3051868
Thanks again AuroraDrvr. But i did a google image search on them, and they arnt very cool looking(sad to say). i was looking for a show piece for my tank. maybe i will have to look at a different type of fish
hopefully not. i will keep looking!

Foxface perhaps?
or a Lunare Wrasse?

spanko

Yellow Pyramid Butterfly Hemitaurichthys polylepis

Reef Compatibility: Generally reef safe! Safer than copperbands, etc.
according to aquacon

Sorry Jayson417 but i already have a 6 line. and as for the fox face i heard they where venomous. I would be very timid to put my hands in my tank.

spanko

Also from wet web media
"Habitat:
First and foremost the system should be as large as possible. These Butterflies live on the outer reef margin and are free-ranging fishes, covering large areas. Also, they need physical cover to feel secure. Hemitaurichthys B/Fs are quick to duck into coral, rock hideaways in the wild; they need to feel they can do the same in your system.
There are many varieties of butterflies you will find offered to the hobbyist; with a huge range of survivability, good to doomed. Not only this proviso should be in effect when making livestock selections; what is available at the dealers is not all "the fish in the sea"; not by a very long shot. The butterflies of the genus Hemitaurichthys are one case in point; they're hardy zooplankton feeders
whose only "special" requirement is a suitably large habitat."

spanko

Originally Posted by Fish Freak2012
http:///forum/post/3051877
Sorry Jayson417 but i already have a 6 line. and as for the fox face i heard they where venomous. I would be very timid to put my hands in my tank.
Foxface Siganus unimaculatus
venom is no more hurtful or dangerous than a bee sting, and any I have had really do avoid your hands when in the tank. as with anything just a need to be aware of them when you are in the tank, but more importantly if you are skittish wear reef gloves.

ok thanks spanko, so what you are trying to tell me is that butterflies need good hiding places to retreat to when frightened? thanks for the info.

spanko

That the pyramid pictured and talked about are'
The most reef safe butterfly
They need large tanks
The need places to hide
They are primarily zooplankton feeders

hey thanks for the rapid replys you have been one of the most helpful people to me today. could you recommend a different somewhat "cooler" fish?

spanko

Sure you could probably get a number of people to do that if you tell us about your system how big, other inhabitants, flitration.

ok sorry Blonde moment

well its a 125 gallon mixed reef, my brother posted pix of it in the photogrophy section(mixed reef with new corals) i have a yellow tang, 6 line, diamond goby, LMB, dainty damsel,3 stripe damsel, 1 peppermint shrimp, and a mixture of hard and soft corals o and a brittle star and a serpent star. As for filtration i have a protien skimmer(not sure what kind) a fuge and bio balls. and about 200 lbs of LR.

spanko

Sounds nice. Another tang? A nice flasher wrasse? I have a mystery wrasse (Pseudocheilinus ocellatus), a little expensive but very nice. or look at some of the other wrasses.

well i may consider another wrasse. i dont want to overuse your knowledge, but every fish i like is either not reef safe of has some other problem, so i have decided to have others tell me their ideas. so could you name some other fish that might be ok. (It may sound like i cannot think on my own but like i said earlier all the fish i like have problems. )

tscuda

I 2nd the Fox Face. They're not a mean fish that will try to sting you. It's only a defence.I hand feed mine sometimes without any fear. As for the Hippo. They're a nice looking fish but quite shy. Both of mine stay hid for the most part.