A column versus the "fruit stand"

Alright, so I am definitely a newbie, been in it for a little over six months...
That being said, I have a simple aquascaping question.
I now have about 100lbs of live rock and base rock, and have aquascaped them a few different ways. Most recently, I had them arranged on the back of the glass high in the middle, and sloping both down, and left and right.
When my friend (who has been doing this for about three years) came over, he kinda looked at my rockwork and chuckled, saying "Ahh I see you have a fruit stand set up".
Basically he just said that lying them on top of each other all in a pile was a bad idea because you have areas that get ZERO water circulation, and can build up all kinda of bad things for the tank.
That makes sense.
He says to kind of stack them in the middle of the tank, leaving a clear channel in the front and back, so that water can easily circulate.
So based on his advice, I did just that and I suppose the water flow is now more complete.
thing is, my goby and fairy wrasse (who both loved hiding in the piled rockwork) now look kinda lost and skiddish. I mean they have little tunnels and crevices, but nowhere to go actually "hide".
Is this going to be detrimental to their health? Or will they adjust accordingly?
thanks!

uberlink

They'll adjust. Don't worry. Fish always act lost when you redo the rockwork. In fact, redoing your rock work can be sufficiently disorienting that it can break a cycle of aggression among fish.

sepulatian

The fish will adjust. Do the rock-scape however you like it. Be sure that it is stable and will not move. Your friend is both right and wrong. We don't know what it looked like before, but it should certainly have flow around it.