A DIY Tank Stand

overanalyzer

Help!! I am building a custom tank stand and want to make sure I do it right (would hate to screw it up). I have been discussing the tank stand wit ha co-worker and he says that the tank stand needs to be buiilt so it supports all the weight around the edges. I am planning on getting a 75 gallon all glass tank. Is he right- no middle support??
Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

richard rendos

A glass tank needs all the support around the edges. Also completely level. Acrylic aquariums should be supported across the full bottom.

jester

I'm building mine, and used a piece of MDF for a top. But, the tank itself only sits on the outer edges.

saltyfish

hi now I have a Acrylic tank but it has tubes commin out the bottom so i cant have a solid botom on a stand that i need to build .
what can i do there?
Aaron

jester

Momma Don't ...uhhh well i better not finish that. (lol)
really, it's medium denisity fiberboard. it's kinda like particle board, only stronger and denser.
1/2 mdf is a little stronger than 3/4 particle board.

overanalyzer

Kewl - I was thinking of using Oak or Cedar to make something (we have a lot of oak trim in our living room already).

overanalyzer

Jester - last question - for now - but .....
Did you put a center brace bar that supports the tank or does it just connect the front to the back?

G

glenn

Just a little suggestion here. DONT us particle board for the tops of your stands or any other part of it. There isnt a particle board made that water will not dissolve.
Glenn

jester

Water will destroy almost any wood. So here's the soultion, Polyurathyane. Seals and waterproofs.

melbournefl

Good Morning Jester :D Alas, for the first time I must disagree with your suggestion of MDF as a base for the tank. On almost any project in the world I can see the value of MDF as a buildiing material EXCEPT the base. While you're correct in the comment regarding wood being damaged by water, and the use of sealers, my concern in a tank base is that should you get a hairline crack, pressure break or anything that damages the finish, the MDF would *fall apart* much more quickly than say a piece of 3/4" exterior plywood. Being under the tank (hence hidden from view) this could *conceivably* occur without you even being aware. Sides, front, back, doors, heck almost anywhere besides *under* the tank I would not have as much concern.
Just my feeble mind at work here!
Later, Paul

jester

Good morning MelbourneFL. You are right in that it might get a crack and I wouldn't even know it.
How's that old saying go......
If a tree falls and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
My tank (as I stated) sits on the edges of the tank. Which is supported by 4x4's and 2x4's with the mdf on top of that. The mdf is only the iceing on the cake. With 2000 lbs on it, I can't forsee it "falling" apart. Maybee I can take better pics this weekend. Most of it is already black so it will be hard to tell, but I'm applying the poly so we will see. Good thought though.

melbournefl

LOL Jester, trees maybe ... tanks *OMG* LOL Seriously, you're probably right, I just had a problem years ago in a bathroom with a cheap particle board vanity, it went something like this ... water seepage from around the sink went into space between particle board and laminate, time passed, more water, more time, never enough to see, just enough to *eat* away at the particle board ... girlfriend takes shower, gets out of shower, sits on edge of vanity (GOD knows why), vanity crumbles leaving girlfriend with butt in sink and feet in toilet, and me in very hot water for laughing my *** off! I just haven't trusted any kind of particle board anywhere near water since. Just my opinion and Lord knows I've been proven wrong MANY times before :)p )
Later, Paul

jester

Funny story. I might use a piece of 3mil palstic to cover it just in case now. I'll see how it goes.

melbournefl

Jester, the plastic *might* leave you open for more problems then it would solve, the problem of rot is multiplied by having a nice little humid area for the mold to blossom. I'm sure you'll be fine with the MDF and sealer! I'm going with an open top on my stand *just in case*. I think I like the idea of being able to see as many of the potential problem points as I can. Since I have a couple of bulkheads on the bottom of the tank, it gives me an emergency service access too. Not that it's possible that I could have a plumbing problem LOL
Later, Paul

G

glenn

OK Jester.....Why if there are the potential for anything to happen like this would you use it? You said you used the MDF for the top of the stand and the tank sits on it. Now if you get water on it you think you are safe, right? Well...if water gets to that area it can and will seep underneath the tank. It will not matter being coated with anything if this happens. Water will soak into the particle board. When this happens it will start to deteriate. That will cause the weight of the tank to crush the particle board. If this happens it can cause the tank to twist and maybe crack. I know of a few stands this has happened to including more than one of the major manufacturers 200 gallon tank. It wasnt soaked or anything like that...just from the humidity of the sump. It started out with it just sagging. after a very short time the doors needed to be planed down so they could open. Eventually it started a leak. Needless to say the manufacturer had to replace the stand and the tank. I do build stands and canopies so I have some knowledge.

jester

Because I know if it's waterproofed; water, moisture, or humidity can't rot the wood. I have built hundreds of sub boxs for cars. Most have gotten wet. Plywood literley falls apart between layers (even the blue line treated "outdoor"wood). Particle board disininagrates because of it compositon, it soaks up water like a sponge. Mdf seems to hold up the best since it's natural disposition is to repel water for some reason. So if you go the extra mile and waterproof it, it will be fine.
You say that water will get in the wood and rot it, even if it's water proofed. Interesting. I belive there is a multi billion dollar industry that would disagree with you (myself included). As any chemist would tell you, the hydrogen and oxygen molecules can not pass though solid polyurathayne. If osmosis was that strong and efficient, the we would all be turning lead into gold. After all, if ion's and isotopes can pass through easily, why not? Lead and gold are not that far apart. Maybe in value, but not composition.
I only brought up the plastic thing so I wouldn't sound like an a#$hole know it all, but I do know this. polyurathyane WILL stop all water seepage. My tank, my stand, and my floor are are level. I don't see any problem with any type of crack forming due to a uneven weight distrubtation.
(ps. It's actually supported by 4x4's and 2x4's. Check out my homepage and you will see some poor pics of what i'm talking about)
And since it's my tank, it's my choice. That's why.
(And I have several years of expirence at this myself too. I don't just make this up as I go.)