A Few Elegance Coral Questions...

I have a few questions about elagence coral.
1. Is it easy to care for?
2. How much light does it require?
3. Were do you place it?
4. I have heard that it eats small fish, is this true?
5. Does it have any special care requirments?

wangotango

I wouldn't say that they're hard to keep but not many people can keep them for very long, they just don't do well in aquariums. IMO find something else.
-Justin

clown316

i second that. stay away from them. I consider them to be expert corals. they do ok for the first couple weeks...and then BOOM they go down hill from there. ( mine did )

paintballer768

Theres a bunch of different theories about elegance corals and their mysterious deaths. I remember reading an article about the possibilities. One theory is that they used to be collected from shallower waters, and once that got over harvested, they got the deeper water ones, which is more than likely what you would be receiving if you bought one. They just cant adapt to our tanks and may require something special that we have yet to find out. Another is that they have some kind of beneficial protozoan living on/in them, and at some point the protozoan has the ability to kill the coral.
If you must have one, keep water parameters perfect and give them good exposure to MH lighting. A local friend of mine has one in a tank with 400 watts MH and the tanks about 300 gallons I would guess. He got it from a client and the coral was doing the mysteriously dying phase, but somehow it got nursed back to health. IMO a piece that should be left in the ocean.