A few pics of my tank, 50g !not dial up friendy!

lecithin

I will start a diary eventually but I also wanted to post a few pics to see what people think. Please share your opinions, questions, concerns, or whatever good or bad.
The tank is a 50g, FOWLR... though I will probably get some corals way down the road. Inside you will see 50lbs of base rock (ok no you won't see much, its mostly under the sand) and approx 45lbs of LR. There are a few snails in there.... some hitch hiked, some found there way there by a secret fairy.
I tried to do my best aquascaping, I'm pretty happy with it. There are a lot of caves and places to hide and I tried to vary the height of the rock.
I do have one gorgeous piece of base rock with a large hole in the middle that i want to place somewhere but I haven't figured out where yet, besides that its pretty much done when it comes to rock.
A full shot to start out

The left side

The right side

The middle

A bit of a different view

Thats it for now, please tell me what you think!

herefishy2

Your rock looks really nice. But, just a friendly piece of advice, on the left side you have a really nice looking piece of LR leaning up against the tank glass? It looks like it is. I tried to keep all of my rock off of the glass to allow for easier cleaning. It took a while to get it right, but you'll want to be able to run your magnetic glass cleaner or a scraper over the glass in your tank. You'll be amazed at what kinds of algea can grow in those areas and obscure your view of the tank...I looked at it as kind of a challenge, and became more creative, and after a few tries I am finally pleased with the rock placement AND can keep my glass clean!

scsinet

Looks great, but I do agree with herefishy. You're not doing anything wrong or hurting anything by leaning it against the glass, but what you'll end up with over time is a filthy spot around where the rock touches, because you can't get in close enough with your cleaning implements.
You may consider flipping the rock around and leaning it against the other rock structure. That way your glass will be clear for cleaning.
Don't know if you wanted advice or not... if not... sorry and disregard.
BTW.. looks like you have a pair of Jager heaters in there... excellent choice!

lecithin

oh yes, def, plllleeeasee give me advice. I'd much rather know now then when my tank is established and things are harder to move around.
Yep, two jager heaters :)

scsinet

Originally Posted by Lecithin
oh yes, def, plllleeeasee give me advice. I'd much rather know now then when my tank is established and things are harder to move around.
Yep, two jager heaters :)
Well at this stage, the only other thing I can think of to mention is to shove that rock down into the substrate so it contacts the bottom glass.
Some fish can burrow into the substrate, such as gobies, jawfish, etc, and you want the rocks to stay stable if they do. If you have them simply sitting on top of the gravel and they dig out underneath, it can cause a rock collapse.