A few questions about a biocube

i just got my hands on a 29g biocube and want to turn it into a reef tank. but id like to do all the modifications now if needed. of course i need the 150w MH, but what do you guys recommend doing for filtration? i keep hearing bad comments about the nano skimmers, how effective are they? just pull the 2 trays out of the middle section and stuff it with chaeto and get a little light for it? is the maxijet upgrade a good one? im not even sure what kind of pump is in it now, but i do have a spare mj1200 sitting here. i know ive seen alot of very nice nanos, so how do you guys have them setup?

havent had alot of time to mess with it lately, but went by the LFS today and talked to them about it. they said the nano skimmers are not that efficient and recommend that i put LR rubble in the first chamber, and chaeto in the second chamber. makes sense to me, what do you guys think?

wow, yours appears to be working well, arent those oceanics only like $30-$40? is that also a HOB filter i see in the second compartment?

keith burn

Originally Posted by MustangCaleb
http:///forum/post/2927088
wow, yours appears to be working well, arent those oceanics only like $30-$40? is that also a HOB filter i see in the second compartment?
yes about $40
no it is a in the water kind.
no it is in a 10gal tank that is a hob filter on it.

coastie5685

remove bioballs... place one unit chemi pure elite or purigen in middle chamber and top off rest with filter floss and replace the tray on top.... forget nano skimmer... save yourself 40 bucks with weekly water changes... and use more filter floss on top of biocube filter. replace filter floss weekly and chemi pure or purigen every 6 months.. your set... and yes ... maxijet is a good upgrade for more gph...get a koralia 1 for your 29g and set up right next to return nozzle

papajt

Thanks for that pic, I like the idea of putting it right next to the water return. :) I'm gonna go pick one up and do that.

subielover

I think it should be on the opposite side. Reason being is you want to have random flow, if you have them on opposite sides the two currents can meet in the middle and become nice and turbulent. My .02