A few questions about LS and LR.

stig

I'm going to be moving everything into a bigger tank in a few weeks and I'd really appreciate it if anyone could clear a few things up for me.....
(1) How much sand should I buy for a 46G tank (90cm by 45cm)?
I've read that 3-4 inches is good. Why is such a deep bed good? How much sand would that be (in Kgs if possible) for me?
(2) Should I rinse the sand before I put it in the tank?
(3) I'm gonna seed the bed with CC from my existing tank placed in nylons. Won't this stop the worms etc. from getting into the sand bed and doing their work?
(4) I'm gonna get some dead LR from a friend. It's still in water but with no circulation or heat so I am assuming that, at the end of winter, it will be dead. Can I just give this a good rinse and then place it in my new tank? It will become live again eventually and add to my biological filtration, right?
Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Stig.

stig

Hi again,
Have I done something to upset the members of this board?
Everytime I post a question, it's ignored.
I live in Japan and, although my Japanese is pretty good, it's pretty hard to discuss this topic in detail. My LFS owner speaks no English. Also, as most of you know, LFS owners sometimes give very bad advice.
Please. Anyone.

fshhub

relax and slow down, it has only been a couple of hours, surely someone will answer, if given time. This is a BB not a chat room, with live conversations. We post, and wiat and then someone will more than likely respond.
1) about 40kg(roughly)
2)no
3)no, the bacteria and fauna will get thru. worms, maybe not the larger, but larval and such will, thus seeeding it
4)it would be safe to use, but not sure how much stuff will regrow on, it depending on if it was LR or jsut rock in a marine tank and also how long it has sat and how cold it got and things like that.

stig

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I seemed impatient. I think I'm just stressed out; moving to a new place and setting up a new tank while trying not to kill my fish...
My LFS suggested that I should rinse the sand. Are you saying I shouldn't because I'll be washing away beneficial particles?
I'm pretty sure the LR will be dead but I'll do a smell test and also rinse it and leave it in aerated SW for a week or so before adding it.
Thanks again.
Stig.