A few questions about my tank.

mikediii

Hey all. I purchased a 30 gal reef and a sump and have had it set up for a couple months now. It had lots of livestock and live rock in it and it has really been a pleasure. I lost a mushroom but other than that everything that was originally in the tank before I set it up at my home has done well. I have been trying to identify stuff and was hopeing I could get some help with a couple items. I dont have any pics atm but was hopeing a good description would do the job.
Tiny Anemones? I have these little tiny animals that look very much like anemones. There are about 10 of them that stay in a general area but do seem to move at times. They are greenish with pinkish tips on the tentacles and none of them are much larger than a dime. Are these those "Apasto" (I forget what they're called) that can spread rapidly and take over your tank. If they are I will try to exterminate them but they are actually pretty nice looking and add something to the tank. I first noticed them about a month ago or so but they may have been there the whole time.
Green bubbles. I have these Green bubbles that are pretty hard "I touched one to see if I could pop it" They are sprouting up close to where my ridge coral is in clusters and they seem to grow pretty large, about a 1/2 inch in diameter. Are these bad or dangerous?
Thanks for any helpful information you can provide.

keith burn

First thing is aptasia and it may kill fish and take over tank.............bad,bad kill it now!!!!!!
Second thing is bubble algea and it is not so bad can get things to eat it like Emerald Crabs.
1st 2 pic of aptasia
2nd 2 of bubble algea

mikediii

Thanks. The green bubbles in your pics are definately what I have. Im not sure about the aptasia though. Mine look a little different than that. Are there different species?

mikediii

Here are a couple shots the anemone things I have.. Are these Aptasia? One of them is centered in each pic and in the first pic you can see several other small ones if you look closely. Sorry if the quality makes it dificult to tell.

triga22

I dont know what it is. sorry. To me it looks like an actually anenome?? I just saw that ur from albany Which part. I used to live there. I am from schnectady

mikediii

Are the pictures not clear enough to tell? Im not the best tank photographer :(
I live in downtown Albany, Near Pearl St and Madison Ave intersection. My sister lives in Schenectady near Rotterdam. Good to hear from a local aquarist (or used to be local?) :notsure:

triga22

There clear for me.. To me it isnt an apista and looks like a normal anenome.
Thats cool. I go and visit family 2wice a year ther

nygel

i think they just look like green aiptasia's personally, if u touch it does it retract into the rock?

mikediii

They are not in the rock. They have a tube-like anemone body.... pretty much the same as my condy anemone. There are about 10 of them now and they seem to move around slightly but stay in the same general area. I thought they where aptasia also... but... they dont seem to match the descriptions I've read or the pictures I have seen. Has anyone else had this type of animal in thier tanks? or seen them before? I tried to get better pics but havnt had much success.

eejay3

Looks like majano to me. Often classified together with aiptasia and also considered pest. Correct me if I'm wrong.

mikediii

Hm... well they dont seem to be really hurting anything at the moment. I guess maybe the best thing to do is keep a close eye on them and make sure they dont start taking over. I'd hate to kill them if I dont need to.

whitey_028

Its a green gulf anenome and they will split like crazy under good lighting. They will sting other coral if it gets to close but they will also move around. To me they are a nusance becasue of how fast they populate but some people like them. The other first pictures are true aptasia and bubble algea. Be careful of the gulf aneneomes as they will totally overpopulate your tank but fish stores will still buy them from you...To me its an aptasia thats pretty that people buy :notsure:

mikediii

Ah... Thank you very much for the info. Can I remove them by hand safely? Perhaps I can take them to a LFS or put them in my fuge.