A few questions from me..

tarrahsmom

I have a 100 gallon tank that has been set up since Feb, It looks so dull, no color at all, no coraline, no green or purple. I have
2 clowns
1 yellow tang
1 blue hippo tang
2 b. carnials
1 coris wrass
1 damsel
1 bicolor blenny
1 diamond goby
1 foxface
1 rock with some zoos on it
I cant figure out why my tank is not getting any color other than some nast brown.
amm 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20
ph 7.8

perfectdark

Your PH seems low.. it should be about 8.2. Also do you test for calc, alklinity? And what is your specific gravity? Coral line growth seems to excel in a tank where calcium levels are at about 450ppm and alkalinity is about 240 to 280, and the salinity of my water is 1.025. I dont know for sure if this is your issue or not but i know my tank has only been set up for 4 months and i have alot of coraline algea growing everywhere.

skipperdz

do you ever see your diamond goby? i havent seen mine since i bought it over a month ago. and there hasnt been a ammonia spike indicating hes dead

tarrahsmom

Well, I dont have a test for calicium. I will get one ordered today. I see my diamond goby all the time. he is always out sifting sand .

petjunkie

What kind of lights do you have also, I can't grow corraline worth a darn in my three year old tank with very low lighting but it's all over in my higher light tanks that are much younger and parameters are the same in all tanks. Which is weird because I've always read it grows best in low light.

sk8shorty01

Originally Posted by petjunkie
What kind of lights do you have also, I can't grow corraline worth a darn in my three year old tank with very low lighting but it's all over in my higher light tanks that are much younger and parameters are the same in all tanks. Which is weird because I've always read it grows best in low light.

Are your bulbs new in that low light fixture? That could be the problem with the lights, not the amount of light, but that the lights are spent. I would say it could be because of the bulb life, and not the intensity. Just an observation by someone that doesnt know much haha

perfectdark

Originally Posted by sk8shorty01
Are your bulbs new in that low light fixture? That could be the problem with the lights, not the amount of light, but that the lights are spent. I would say it could be because of the bulb life, and not the intensity. Just an observation by someone that doesnt know much haha

I agree, its common practice to change your bulbs every 6 months even though they may not look it their intensity can diminish and leave your tank starving for photosynthisis. I have std PC's and my coral line algea is growing very fast.
Testing your water is always a good practice, and if you do weekly water changes of 20% or more, the likleyhood of needing to add anything is slim but there is always the chance IMO. And its good to know esp if there is a deficency some where you can correct before it hurts something.