A hole in my fish's fin

lilcreep

I had a royal gramma that had a bad case of Ich. I started soaking the food in garlic 2 days ago. Now the white spots have cleared up. He is eating again, and is now out swimming around. BUT there is a hole in its back fin. Will this hole eventually repair itself, or is he just destined to live the rest of his life with a hole in his fin?

dut

I had the exact same thing your talking about. My sailfin got ich and after after it cleared up the tailfin had a hole in it. My sailfin's tail looks none the worse for wear now. Cant tell there was ever anything wrong with it so I am assuming it repairs itself.

lilcreep

thanks for the reply, that makes me feel a lot better. I also will say that garlic is a mircale cure in this case. I had no means of using a QT for this fish, so it was going to die if the garlic didn't work. And after only 2 days the ick is gone, and he is back to his old self. A little skinnier and a hole in his fin. But atleast he is out swimming and eating again. Now i just need to fatten him up again. :)

dut

Garlic and cleaner shrimp seem to have gotten my ich under control aswell. Not to be a bearer of bad news but in my case at least, the ich occassionally flares up again. I havent and dont expect to be able to get rid of it entirely without the use of a QT and hypo, but your 100% right about garlic being a wonderful tool.

lilcreep

yeah, i expected that it would come back. I'm going to start dosing my fish food with garlic 2-3 times a week just to help keep the immune system up. Hopefully that will keep it at bay. I just don't have any room at all for a QT tank. So Garlic it will have to be. Thanks for your help!