A list of some of the rarest and most desirable fish in the hobby

travelerjp98

I have always loved the really rare fish... don't we all? So I put together a list of some of the rarest and most desirable fish in the hobby... please feel free to add more!!!
Some are what are just "better" fish that are more desirable while others are seen almost never in the hobby and are extremely sought for... like the white tang... while others are less rare and just expensive... lol...
Here I go...
Gobies
Helfrichi Firefish Goby
Flaming Prawn Goby
Angels
Chrysurus Angel
Conspicillatus Angel
Personifec Angel
Bandit Angel
Goldflake Angel
Clarion Angel
Peppermint Angel
Clipperton Angel
Tiger Angel
Reunion Angel
Ballina Angel
Masked Angel
Anthias
Borbonis Anthias
Bimaculates Anthias
Fathead Sunburst Anthias
Eels
Gold Dwarf Moray Eel
Dragon Eel
Anglerfish
Ultra Yellow Antennarius Anglerfish
African Red Anglerfish
Butterfly Fish
Tinkerii Butterfly
Mitratus Butterfly
Decleuis Butterfly
Semilavartus Butterfly
Burgess Butterfly
Double Dash Butterfly
Groupers
Polleni grouper
Saddleback Grouper
Jawfish

Blue Spot Jawfish
Clowns

Ocellaris or True percula clownfish with irregular colors (such as snowflake and picasso clowns)
White Bonnet Clownfish
Puffers

Golden Puffer
Black Puffer
Stellatus Puffer
Rabbitfish

Magnificent Foxface
Tangs

Albino Yellow Tang
White tang- an extremely rare genetic mutation of yellow tangs
Black Tangs
Gem Tangs
Purple Tangs
Triggers

Cross Hatch Trigger
Blue Spotted Trigger
Lunula Trigger
Goldenback Trigger
Wrasses

Flame Wrasse
Australian Sling Jaw Wrasse
PLEASE tell me if I spelled anything wrong!!!

1guydude

some of these are just expensive and not rare! LOL
I can get a hold of these fish one way or another....more $ helps!
Helfrichi Firefish Goby
Gold Dwarf Moray Eel
Dragon Eel
Purple Tangs
Cross Hatch Trigger
Blue Spot Jawfish

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/387839/a-list-of-some-of-the-rarest-and-most-desirable-fish-in-the-hobby#post_3415550
some of these are just expensive and not rare! LOL
I can get a hold of these fish one way or another....more $ helps!
Helfrichi Firefish Goby
Gold Dwarf Moray Eel
Dragon Eel
Purple Tangs
Cross Hatch Trigger
Blue Spot Jawfish
Yeah that's true that some of the fish are expensive and not rare.. but you get the point of the thread... the rarer and more expensive fish in the hobby..

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/387839/a-list-of-some-of-the-rarest-and-most-desirable-fish-in-the-hobby#post_3415549
I have always loved the really rare fish... don't we all? So I put together a list of some of the rarest and most desirable fish in the hobby... please feel free to add more!!!
Some are what are just "better" fish that are more desirable while others are seen almost never in the hobby and are extremely sought for... like the white tang.
Here I go...
Gobies
Helfrichi Firefish Goby - Don't like too much
Flaming Prawn Goby
Angels
Chrysurus Angel
Conspicillatus Angel
Personifec Angel
Bandit Angel
Goldflake Angel
Borbonis Anthias
Bimaculates Anthias
Fathead Sunburst Anthias- (to all, I personally love my multi colored angel. Great personality. these other angels are nice indeed, but really?)
Eels
Gold Dwarf Moray Eel
Dragon Eel
Anglerfish
Ultra Yellow Antennarius Anglerfish
African Red Anglerfish (yes, but they will eat my critters then I would have to kill and eat it)
Butterfly Fish

Tinkerii Butterfly
Mitratus Butterfly
Decleuis Butterfly
Semilavartus Butterfly
Burgess Butterfly (Nice indeed. But they would eat my corals, too bad really)
Jawfish

Blue Spot Jawfish (Awesooooome)
Clowns

Ocellaris or True percula clownfish with irregular colors (such as snowflake and picasso clowns) (Have a wild caught one that I trainned to eat frozen. Hoola Marley!!)
White Bonnet Clownfish
Puffers

Golden Puffer
Black Puffer
Stellatus Puffer (Would never own one...... ever.)
Rabbitfish

Magnificent Foxface (Great for hair algea)
Tangs

Albino Yellow Tang
White tang- an extremely rare genetic mutation of yellow tangs
Black Tangs
Gem Tangs
Purple Tangs (Tank is too small for these, wifes gottem tho. Personally don't see what the big hoopla is about thse fish, but i like them in the wifes tank)
Triggers
Cross Hatch Trigger
Blue Spotted Trigger
Lunula Trigger ( Love the triggers!!!!!!)
Wrasses

Flame Wrasse (too nice for my hippy colony, Love the Scotts too.)
PLEASE tell me if I spelled anything wrong!!! (spell check is at the top right. Lol....)

travelerjp98

Thanks for your comment kiefers... LOL.. I know that spell check is at the top right but it doesn't help with the names of fish.. they are marked as being spelled wrong when they are spelled right.

mr. limpid

If you want to add an expensive fish add the Chevron Tang I paid $200 for mine, but with it i got a lattice butterfly for $15.
Also saw a Goldflake Angel, really beautiful fish it was $350 and that was a good price.
P.S. I love spell check, worlds worse speller.

C

coral guy

my dad had bariene and a fowleri purple and maculiceps tangs before and i have couple pics of them just not the fowleri cause that was 5 years ago i got the angel for 50 the when it was 3 inches

kjr_trig

Anthia's are not Angels....Rare is kind of relative, as for your Angel list, Conspic is the only one I would consider super-rare of those listed....Clarion is far more rare, followed by Peppermint (only 1 pair in captivity I believe) and Clipperton, Tiger, Reunion, Ballina, and Masked which are another level of rare.
There are a lot of rare Wrasses not listed,
I wouldn't count any hybrids or "mis-bars"/genetic mutations, as any fish could have that.
As far as Triggers, Goldenback is very rare.....I do have a Crosshatch pair which would be my rarest fish.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr_trig http:///t/387839/a-list-of-some-of-the-rarest-and-most-desirable-fish-in-the-hobby#post_3415875
Anthia's are not Angels....Rare is kind of relative, as for your Angel list, Conspic is the only one I would consider super-rare of those listed....Clarion is far more rare, followed by Peppermint (only 1 pair in captivity I believe) and Clipperton, Tiger, Reunion, Ballina, and Masked which are another level of rare.
There are a lot of rare Wrasses not listed,
I wouldn't count any hybrids or "mis-bars"/genetic mutations, as any fish could have that.
As far as Triggers, Goldenback is very rare.....I do have a Crosshatch pair which would be my rarest fish.
Thank you very much.. I will add those fish to the list.
And thanks... I did not see that I put anthias under angels... I will fix that too.
As you saw in my description, some are more common but just expensive while others are really rare.
Thanks again- I really appreciate it.

jrandolph1686

Hey everybody, I'm new here haha. This is a cool forum, My all time favorite fish and its kinda rare and hard to keep is the Moorish Idol. I think they are beautiful and really want one but from my research I have found they are hard to keep because they don't eat well in captivity. Another thing is that my tank is to small for one. I actually got to see one at a fish store on friday and really wanted to buy him but i'm not sure about it and I hate to blow $90

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandolph1686 http:///t/387839/a-list-of-some-of-the-rarest-and-most-desirable-fish-in-the-hobby#post_3417877
Hey everybody, I'm new here haha. This is a cool forum, My all time favorite fish and its kinda rare and hard to keep is the Moorish Idol. I think they are beautiful and really want one but from my research I have found they are hard to keep because they don't eat well in captivity. Another thing is that my tank is to small for one. I actually got to see one at a fish store on friday and really wanted to buy him but i'm not sure about it and I hate to blow $90
Don't get him.. they are really hard to keep alive.

jrandolph1686

Yea, I did however get a Heniochus you can see it in my profile they look close and are alot more hardy but for me the moorish idol is like the holy grail of fish haha

jrandolph1686

before I get the moorish idol? I dont think I will be able to as much as I want one its alot of money and trouble and like I said before My tank is to small im affraid