A lot of ?????????

y2says

OK...I have a lot of questions. First, I am just starting a 35g hexagon tank. I bought the tank used with the tank, stand, top, light and a filstar cannister filter for only $125. What a deal! My first question is, the filter is rated at up to 75g. Is this too much filtering since I will be putting in 20lbs of live sand and about 30lbs of live rocks? I'm also getting these at $1/lb. :D Also, what kind of light should I get? I will probably put corals in it too later on the line. The light that I have now is probably the same light that came with the tank when they bought it. Should I also get a small powerhead?
Next: I also have a 75g F/O tank. I will also add about 100lbs of live rock. Can I just add the rocks in? Are there certain parameters as far as water quality (phosphate, copper, ammonia, etc.). Right now, everything is fine with my fish. I don't have a skimmer right now. Should I have one? Powerhead? Also, I'm wondering about my livestock. This is what I have so far: Sailfin Tang (3"), Koran Angel (2.5"), Saddleback Butterfly (2"), Flame Angel (2"), 2 Percula Clowns (1"), Volitan Lionfish (3.5"), and 4 hermit crabs. I know you guys are going to say that it's overstocked, but I'm going to upgrade it, as soon as a find a good deal on a bigger tank (150-200g). Also, I'm going to move the clowns as soon as the other tank is cycled. Will these fish be OK with the live rocks? I usually don't see lionfish, Koran, or butterfly in a reef tank. Also I have a two lights right now; one regular flourescent (came with the tank) and a Marine Glo actinic light rated at 40w. Is this enough to support live rock? I think that is it. Thanks.

partonks

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but your 75g is already set up and stable with the fish load you mentioned? If so, adding the live rock, if not already cured, could be a disaster. If you're getting it for $1/lb, maybe it's coming out of someone's established aquarium, which would be ideal.
On the smaller tank, my only words would be, get as much LR as possible, maybe more than 30lbs, and definitely add a powerhead. 2 or 3 powerheads to the 75g tank.