A monster lawnmower blenny !!!!!

reef_dart21

i dunno if this is a normal size for a blenny but i just bought a lawn mower blenny from a lfs and it is 5 1/2 inches !!!!!!!!!! almost 6 now did i just get lucky or am i getting excited for nothing??

big

That's a biggie, We have had ours almost two years. He is about five inches or maybe a bit bigger. First question is he eating now that he(or maybe she) is at home?
A lot of folks have trouble keeping them from starving once the ready supply of in tank algae is gone. Good luck with him they are great fish with tons of personality too! Warren

reef_dart21

well lets just say the hair algea went away and its back 2 x as worse!!!!!!!!! so it wont starve for about 6 years

addicted2

I love those fish...blennies are all so full of personality..like the gobies...I had one for quite some time..he definitely kept any algae at bay..but they do tend to startve slowly if not enough available...mine unfortunately would not take nori...or any sheeting....I ended up giving him away...he is much happier in my friends tank..and fatter too.

addicted2

Originally Posted by Reef_Dart21
http:///forum/post/2457134
well lets just say the hair algea went away and its back 2 x as worse!!!!!!!!! so it wont starve for about 6 years

if that IS your cowfish in your avatar...he is cute! They are definitely a weird fish.

sammyjoe

My lawnmower blenny i've had for about a month.When I got him he was normal size and now he is FAT!! I don't have a whole bunch of algae in my tank but what I did have is now gone from him eating it.I went out and bought some algae pads for him and have only put them in twice and he is getting fatter so he's eating something.
I did however notice him today eating flake food off the filter intake so perhaps thats what he is getting so fat from unless I have hidden algae somewhere.

reef_dart21

Originally Posted by addicted2
http:///forum/post/2458077
if that IS your cowfish in your avatar...he is cute! They are definitely a weird fish.

yep thats the picture of it only 2 inches big at the lfs about 2 minutes before i took it home ^_^ about a year later it grew to big and i had to get rid of

big

For those that have had issues with starvation. Here is a quote of a post I did a while back.....
I for the longest time, had issues with mine. After dropping tabs and hooking sheets to one of those little Algae sheet hangers for what seemed like ever fearing he was about to starve. Here is what seemed to eventually work for me, was hanging a wetted sheet of algae over the from center support of my tank. As the sheet softened I took parts of the sheet and mashed them between my fingers so it would flow with the currents in the tank. It also seemed to help with the snails for distribution of food for them. In short time he started chasing and eating these bits.
Now days Benny the Blenny has a fat belly and comes up and eats pieces right out of my hand!! Good luck with yours, they become wonderful fish with some time and patience....... Warren

sammyjoe

The flakes I am feeding are regular GoldFish flakes believe it or not. I had some before I started getting fish for my tank and when I bought my two three striped damsels my LFS said the damsels would eat those flakes.So thats what I have been feeding my damsels and my blenny seems to love it too.Weird. Those are the only fish in my tank that eat the flakes though.Well the hermits seem to pick at them when they fall to the bottom.

big

Yes he is a fat one too.

Sammyjoe what "format are you using to post the picture, if I may ask????. Since the s update at SWF, mine from my "putter"'s HD come up ar a darn link now??

sammyjoe

I used photobucket.com. I uploaded my picture to photobucket then clicked the little add photo thing here on the reply box. I copied the img link from photobucket and put it in the add photo box and bam my picture comes up. Hope that makes sense.