A new colony

tlk

I am not sure what they are called but they look really cool. I just noticed them the other day.

tlk

Definitely NOT aptasia. Some type of tube feeder. When I blow water across the area, they all retract and then come back out.

ryebread

That sure looks a heck of a lot like the Aiptasia I have in my tank.........and the aiptasia I have seen (and photographed) in many other tanks.
What you described as them retracting is also what Aiptasia does.

tlk

I think it is the picture quality. Take a look at the following.
This pic is right before I spray with water. You can see them out of their tubes.

tlk

This next pic is immediately after spraying with water. You can see they retracted back into their tubes. Aptasia do not do that.

tlk

I do agree that that first pic does look like aptasia, but I have had an encounter with those little #$%^&'s before, and I am positive these are not aptasia. Some type of feather duster as waterfaller1 said.

ryebread

Originally posted by tlk
Aptasia do not do that.

Hmm.......have you ever tried to grab ahold of an Aiptasia with a pair of tweezers or stick one with a hypodermic needle to inject hot water or kalk? I have. They do the exact same thing. Not saying that these are 100% positively Aiptasia but, they look just like all of the Aiptasia I have seen.

tlk

Originally posted by RyeBread
Hmm.......have you ever tried to grab ahold of an Aiptasia with a pair of tweezers or stick one with a hypodermic needle to inject hot water or kalk? I have. They do the exact same thing. Not saying that these are 100% positively Aiptasia but, they look just like all of the Aiptasia I have seen.

yes i have. They do not have little tube to retract in to as your picture shows. They do retract, but you can still get at them. is there a way that I can post a movie clip on this site? I can probably show it better that way. Additionally, aptasia will sway with the currents. These are not going anywhere!