a new set up

kris

Upgrade as soon as your inhabitants tell you to.
In case your one who has overstocked to begin with or bought fish who were too big (or grew too big) for your tank.
IF not, upgrade only when and if you can afford to and feel like it.

flamehawk

Your signature info states you have a very overstocked 55g. ou need to upgrade or sell half of your fish yesterday. Trouble will start soon if it hasn't started already. Please depopulate and read...read...read. before going any further. You are way overstocked.

ophiura

Agreed. Trade in fish or go buy a larger tank right now, at least 100g, but the larger, the better. Nothing under 100g is sufficient for what you have, unless you want to keep 2 tanks. But for the tang, you need a longer tank, 100g+.

php

my tank has been set up over a year now with that many fish and the fish have been doing great, i have read alot books and books and books i know my tank is supposdly way overstocked but everything is doing great,....my mandarin is pretty fat and is doing great he's been in there for around 7 months.I'm thinking bout upgradin but probably in another year..because its expensive. I appreciate all your opinions thanks for all of your help if you need any more info then just ask thanks!:D

flamehawk

Not really sure why you post then don't listen. Sometimes its ok to do this because opinions are being offerred and some will work while others won't. In this case this is fact...you are doing yourself and the hobby a dis-service by excessively overstocking your tank. I don't wish bad luck on any fellow hobbiest but the fact is ..your headed for disaster. WE are simply trying to avoid it BEFORE it happens. If you wait one year you will be sorry....or worst yet your fish w/b sorry. I don't know what books you've read that have led you to the conclusion that this is ok. Throw them out and if you need some refferrrals on good books let us know. Impossible for fish to be "doing great".Sorry if sounds so harsh but we are dealing with lives.
Hope you follow the sound advice being offerred by all and upgrade now!! or if you can't afford it, trade in for supplies or credit to LFS. Post on this board and you may be able to sell some.

php

i do post and listen the point of my post was to get every one's opinions. I wanted to know when in case i do have the chance to get a bigger tank. thankyou

flamehawk

Well if you listened you would agree to do one of the 2 things suggested---sell to lfs or upgrade immediately. Good luck.

php

heres another question...the rule is 1 inch per every 5 gallons...my fish equal to 12 inches and a 55 should have 11..so it's not that bad...or is it?

flamehawk

You said you read? If you had you had done so carefully you would have read that it's based on ADULT SIZE not current size. I count 40 inches of adult size fish easy ...in a 55!
Here's how to calculate...you have a 55. By the time you compensate for water displacement caused by the live rock and sand, you really only have about 45 gallons of water maybe less. You are almost @ 1 inch per gallon!! Way over stocked. Now I understand why you didn't had a sense of urgency on this. Hopefully you do now. In additon I'm not even commenting on the terrritorial wars and the resulting added stress which leads to shorten lives. These territorial wars are more pronounced and frequent when there is little space for fish to "claim" their territories.
Now let's be honest....you must read more if you are to be successful in this hobby. Even with all I've read, I still make mistakes but I've significantly increased my chances of success by reading lots. Please do the same.
Asking questions on this board is one way of learning but consider asking BEFORE you actually purchase or do something not after.
OK I'm done ....hope you think about this and more importantly ..act. Good luck.

php

thanks alot helped me out a bunch ...only problem is i feel like i wasted all that money when i give the fish back to the store

N

newreefers

if you don't want to "give" them back to the lfs, ask if they will trade for something else like a coral or dry goods, if not post in the board here to sell the fish.

wrassecal

I've got a nice big fat yellow tang, sixline wrasse, mandarin, 2 percs, coral beauty, yellow clown goby and 120 lbs of lr in my 55 gal. They are all healthy and happy......as far as I can tell, but what do I know a happy fish from an unhappy one. No one is sick, no one is starving. I've got too many fish and so do you. Difference is I just got a 135 gal, 6 ft long that mine will be moving into. Then I'll really know what a happy fish is:D I have a feeling I'm going to be surprised.

wrassecal

About 6 months with all of them. The tang is now too big for that size tank and the bioload is too high to keep them healty much longer. Also, I bought my fish very small. The percs are new since my tomato clown died and they are babies.