a new shark attack

sharkbait9

A shark on Friday attacked and killed a 66-year-old swimmer who was training in the ocean with a group of triathletes, authorities said.
Dave Martin, a retired veterinarian from Solana Beach, was attacked by what authorities believe was a great white shark at San Diego County's Tide Beach around 7 a.m., authorities and family friend Rob Hill said.
The man was taken to a lifeguard station for emergency treatment but was pronounced dead at the scene, according to a statement on the Solana Beach city Web site.
The man's injuries crossed both thighs, San Diego County sheriff's Sgt. Randy Webb said in a statement. Scripps Institution of Oceanography shark expert Richard Rosenblatt says the shark was probably a great white between 12 and 17 feet long.
"It looks like the shark came up, bit him, and swam away," said Solana Beach Deputy Fire Chief Dismas Abelman.
The attack took place about 150 yards offshore. Several swimmers wearing wetsuits were in a group when the shark attacked, said Solana Beach lifeguard Craig Miller. Two swimmers were about 20 yards ahead of the man when they heard him scream for help. They turned around and dragged him back to shore.
Swimmers were ordered out of the water for a 17-mile stretch around the attack site and county authorities sent up helicopters to scan the waters for the shark. The beach was closed for an eight-mile stretch.
"The shark is still in the area. We're sure of that," Mayor Joe Kellejian said.
Hill, a member of the Triathlon Club of San Diego, said he was running on the beach while about nine other members were in the water when the attack took place.
"They saw him come up out of the water, scream 'shark,' flail his arms and go back under," Hill said. "The flesh was just hanging," and Martin may have bled to death before he left the water, Hill said.
Hill said club members had been meeting at the beach for at least six years and never had seen a shark.
Solana Beach is 14 miles northwest of San Diego.
Shark attacks are extremely rare. There were 71 confirmed unprovoked cases worldwide last year, up from 63 in 2006, according to the University of Florida. Only one 2007 attack, in the South Pacific, was fatal.
The last fatal shark attack in California, according to data from the state Department of Fish and Game, took place in 2004, when a man skin diving for abalone was attacked by a great white shark off the coast of Mendocino County.
On Aug. 19, 2003, a woman swimmer was killed by a great white at Avila Beach in San Luis Obispo County on the central California coast.
The last fatal shark attack along San Diego County was off Ocean Beach in April 1994.

crimzy

It's an unfortunate risk in swimming in the ocean. I feel for the man's family. But I think that anyone that goes in the ocean should be smart enough to know that there is a risk, however minimal. Swimming in the ocean is really no different than camping in an area where bears frequent. Or hiking through the African preserves. These things can happen.

lovethesea

yikes! do you think wet suits are a factor. Because I know the other two deaths, the people had on wet suits also.
Kind of look like a seal..to a shark anyway.

socal57che

I was there shortly after it happened. My wife and I often stop there after I pick her up from the airport. We were walking along the beach and saw a lifeguard posting signs. We asked him what he was doing and he showed us one of the signs. We thought it was odd that there was a news crew, but we figured they were doing the surf report.
Wow. A fatal shark attack. And we were going to get surf lessons for our kids this summer. Now we're having second thoughts on the issue.
Here are some pics of the beach near where it occured. We saw some dolphins swimming in the area, but couldn't get pics with my phone.

cowfishrule

how many shark attacks does the state of nebraska have every year ?
and why do they have that many?
answer the above questions and you'll have all the knowledge that you need.

blownz281

Problems are - over fishing. sharks only come close to the shore at dusk looking for smaller fish. biggest we ever saw were two 6ft sharks at 8pm in the outer banks in five foot of water.
More over fishing that happens the closer they have to come to look for food or find other food sources. more people that are in the water as beaches become more and more popular shark attacks happen as sharks are seeing people more often. back in the late 40's or early sometime when people started going to beaches shark attack were not as common as the sharks had plenty of food and were scared of people. the ocean is a dangerous place,just like what was stated about hiking. you are in these animals enviorment and they have no clue what we are. so you have to be careful as they get mad,scared,or hungry. they are just a animal and don't have really any common sense to know not to do stuff. My family has been going to the ocean for 30years. we have never been bite by a shark even snorkled around sharks in the keys. my wife and I got married this past august in topsail NC on the beach. after are families left the beach house two houses down a lady and son were attacked by a hammerhead. now we were in the water 24/7. wrong place at the wrong time i guess. then a week before we came down a lady was swimming the fishing pier??? and a shark bite her. don't get me wrong sharks are one of my favorite animals,but i've started to get nervous swimming now and don't plan on taking surfing lessons when we visit NC ever. we just have to do everything we can to be careful.
kinda hard to see a shark swimming around you. everytime your in the water there could be one near ya..

pontius

I don't agree that overfishing has anything at all to do with shark attacks. most shark attacks are the shark being curious, not because they are starving. and most of the "man eater" sharks live close to shore naturally, that's why they're the infamous "man eaters". I've read that Oceanic Whitetip Sharks are probably the single most dangerous shark, but since they live in deep water, attacks on people are not as common. Great Whites, Tigers, and Bulls all live close to shore naturally hence, more attacks. I know a diver who has accidentally run up on Tiger shark breeding grounds around shipwrecks in Charleston....not a good place to be.

reefkprz

Rule number 1 in the ocean eat or be eaten
Rule number 2 if you want to stay off the menu stay out of the water.
rule number 3 if you get eaten no whining.

matt b

I was watching the news and I think I heard something about they are trying to catch and kill it

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/2583005
I don't agree that overfishing has anything at all to do with shark attacks. most shark attacks are the shark being curious, not because they are starving. and most of the "man eater" sharks live close to shore naturally, that's why they're the infamous "man eaters". I've read that Oceanic Whitetip Sharks are probably the single most dangerous shark, but since they live in deep water, attacks on people are not as common. Great Whites, Tigers, and Bulls all live close to shore naturally hence, more attacks. I know a diver who has accidentally run up on Tiger shark breeding grounds around shipwrecks in Charleston....not a good place to be.
Amen to that Pontius, I had been working less than a month at Wild Dunes (an Ocean front resort near CHarleston) when a man was attacked just 50 yards away from the 18th green at our golf course...They were able to figure out by the bite diameter and description that it was an 8 foot Tiger. The attack came in WAIST DEEP WATER!!!!
250 stitches later, the man had no permanant nerve damage, just some nasty scars....I stayed out of the water in Charleston.

clownfish11

wow one shark attack doesnt mean everyone will get attacked its a big misunderstanding by the shark...idk in my opinion its not the sharks fault cuz he doesnt really know its a human...idk w/e i thnk they make these things sound way to serious and like lets kill it...

bs21

This is unfortunate. I don't know about you guys but I think we need to start showing our dominance over nature in the ocean and not just on land anymore. Lets put these sharks back into their place as a lesser species =) Just like the Australians did with the stingrays when Steve Irwin died.

matt b

Originally Posted by ClownFiSH11
http:///forum/post/2583039
wow one shark attack doesnt mean everyone will get attacked its a big misunderstanding by the shark...idk in my opinion its not the sharks fault cuz he doesnt really know its a human...idk w/e i thnk they make these things sound way to serious and like lets kill it...
Well it is a BIG deal someone was killed. BUT people are swimming in their world and if the shark wants to bite then I dont see why it shouldent.

clownfish11

exactly....they have no clue its a person though..heck if you saw smthng that looking big and juicy like a burger swimming right in your reach wouldnt u take it..

clownfish11

i wonder why???? over fishing cuz we think we need to eat so much....this is gonna turn into smthng really interesting like the obama thread..

pontius

Originally Posted by blownz281
http:///forum/post/2583604
sure they are curious but studies have shown fish populations are decreasing and so is there food sources.
large sharks are overfished even moreso than prey fish. and prey fish breed at much higher rates than large sharks. not saying overfishing isn't a problem in general, but it has nothing to do with sharks attacking people.
like I said, Great Whites, Tigers, and Bulls all live in shallow tropical water where there are a lot of people. that's why there are attacks.
another attraction, at least in Brazil, is pollution. the smell from the pollution attracts the sharks even closer to shore where the people are. Brazil had an explosion of shark attacks a few years ago until they finally figured out that dumping slaughterhouse waste into shallow water on a tourist beach wasn't such a great idea.

K

kikithemermaid

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/2583771
another attraction, at least in Brazil, is pollution. the smell from the pollution attracts the sharks even closer to shore where the people are. Brazil had an explosion of shark attacks a few years ago until they finally figured out that dumping slaughterhouse waste into shallow water on a tourist beach wasn't such a great idea.
They dumped slaughterhouse waste into the beach?!