a poopload of bubbles

stdreb27

So I finally hooked plumbed and turned on my skimmer. But I've got a ton of bubbles. I'm totally at a loss, and need to know what I should do from here. Does anyone have any suggestions. Here are some pictures of how many bubbles I have.

stdreb27

In the sump I have three baffles. But the return pump seems to be creating the bubbles. I'm not sure why it is. Like the propeller is cavitating.

bambam_250r

Do you have foam in your baffles? If not, the bubbles could still get through. You can get some filter foam and put it into the baffles to stop them from getting to your return pump. If there are no bubbles in the area where your return pump is then you might have a small leak in the return line?

earlybird

Originally Posted by stdreb27
In the sump I have three baffles. But the return pump seems to be creating the bubbles. I'm not sure why it is. Like the propeller is cavitating.
Two things to try that worked for me. First, unplug your return pump and play with it under water to make sure that all bubbles are out. Second, it may be possible that bubbles are falling into the chamber with the return pump and they are being sucked in. Try attaching an "elbow" pvc to the intake of your return pump. This worked great for me.

stdreb27

What about spacing the baffles? Right now I have them spaced 4 inches apart. Is that too much or not enough? I had filter fiber in between them when the photo was taken? There is an elbow in the piping to the return pump.

stdreb27

I also tried a smaller pump. 1100 gallons vs 1600. I see a significant reduction in bubbles, but there are still too many. how can you tell if the problem is in your plumbing, or the sump? I assume if there is no water leaking out of the plumbing then it can't be caused by the plumbing??

saltfan

Bubbles like that will stay for some time, as they jsut keep going through the system and gettin chewed up by the pump. As for 4" baffle spacing, I think that is a little to much. What kind of skimmer are we talking about here? That may aid in the replies. As new skimmers are sometimes a pain to adjust when first turned on. Most will settle by themselves though.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by SaltFan
Bubbles like that will stay for some time, as they jsut keep going through the system and gettin chewed up by the pump. As for 4" baffle spacing, I think that is a little to much. What kind of skimmer are we talking about here? That may aid in the replies. As new skimmers are sometimes a pain to adjust when first turned on. Most will settle by themselves though.
Right now there is no skimmer, that first picture is without a skimmer being on. I have a lifereef vs3-30 skimmer, but I haven't had it on while I try to figure out this bubble problem.
I really don't know how to figure out the bubbles.
The guy at the lfs in arlington said look for these things.
skimmer- skimmer isn't running
leaks- no water dripping.
plumbing in general-??????????????
too fast of a pump- it is now a 1100 gph pump
inaequate bubble trap- possible baffles bein too wide?
extra foam in bubble traps can help- I have foam everywhere.
any ideas?

indyws6

Not an expert, but...
The comment that others have made regarding leaks is likely in reference to the input side of the return pump (air leaks). If a pump sucks air on the input side, then it will put bubbles in the output stream and, consequently, into the tank. You will not see any water dripping becasue it is an air leak, not a water leak. A leak on the output side of the return pump will create a mess, not bubbles. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps...

stdreb27

Originally Posted by indyws6
Not an expert, but...
The comment that others have made regarding leaks is likely in reference to the input side of the return pump (air leaks). If a pump sucks air on the input side, then it will put bubbles in the output stream and, consequently, into the tank. You will not see any water dripping becasue it is an air leak, not a water leak. A leak on the output side of the return pump will create a mess, not bubbles. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps...
If that is the case, how can you tell it is leaking? And find it.

saltfan

I have found that just by having the pump at a bad angle using rubber tubing, that it will cause somehow air to develop and be munched up and thrown through the system. I don't know who this happens, but on mine, I did find it and correct it. The line going into the pump has to be direct, no kinks or weird angles, using rubber line.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by HiFi
What brand of return pump are you using?
I tried two, a awaki and a panworld. I'm taking my sump to get drilled tomorrow, hopefully that will help.