A question about copper vs. PVC pipes in a new remodel.

king_neptune

Re-plumbing one of the buildings on our property. It currently has PVC pipes. It is getting re-fitted with copper next week.
I have an RO-DI unit that I was going to install upstairs in the kitchen. It was meant for the tank Im putting in that building later this summer.
However, in light of the fact that Copper pipes are bad, I am considering running a separate PVC line from the water main(which comes from a private well, and is PVC throughout the property) to the upstairs kitchen where the RO-DI unit is to be installed.
Also note that the water will be pre-filtered via a nice expensive home depot bought water filter, right before it hits the RO-DI unit...I want it double filtered^^
Am I going overboard?
Do I evin have to worry about copper lines if I'm using an RO-DI unit, or is it a legitimate worry?
Running a second PVC line has several drawbacks....not only cost and time to install,but potential for another water freeze/burst...which is why the old lines are getting replaced to begin with.

nigerbang

The chances of it putting enough copper in the water from the pipes is minimal at best.. My house is done with copper piping and all the tanks I have had I never had a problem with it.. Copper after all is a trace element.. I wouldnt go through the hassle of re-pipeing a house for that...

king_neptune

The lines froze this last winter, flooded a few thousand gallons, ruined upstairs and down :(
Worst of all it went on for over a week before my dad went into the building to do some routine maintenance. Took a month with heaters running 24/7 and almost 2 weeks of labor, but now the mess is fixed and the floors are replaced. Last step is the plumbing retrofit.
We are re-doing it with copper so it wont happen again.
I'm just glad I can avoid the trouble of adding a separate PVC line.

naclh2o nut

I have a copper question. I bought a auto shut off for my RO/DI filter and need to plumb it in. The only parts that I can find are brass. They are little sleeves that let the compression rings seat and not crush the hose. Has anyone used them?

salty blues

Originally Posted by NaClH2O Nut
http:///forum/post/3052636
I have a copper question. I bought a auto shut off for my RO/DI filter and need to plumb it in. The only parts that I can find are brass. They are little sleeves that let the compression rings seat and not crush the hose. Has anyone used them?
You might try Lowe's plumbing dept. if available. My local store has all the small plastic fittings, valves, etc. to hook up ro/di filter systems.

jdl

Originally Posted by NaClH2O Nut
http:///forum/post/3052636
those are for copper pipe, like some of the lines that goto a fridge ice maker. You can find all you need at lowes/hd, they have john guest push fittings.

natclanwy

I believe an RO/DI filter will remove any trace copper that makes it into the water but like was said earlier the amount of copper that leaches into the water from the pipe is probably less than the amount that is already in your salt mix.