A question for you all

zackp00

I have a Hippo Tang, and he seems to break out in ich anytime I add new additions to my tank. What is the real deal with ich is it like freakin when some people break out in hives when real stressed??? I have never done nothing except qt him 2X and I also use garlic in his feed. I don't know about him LOL....The last time he broke out I was on a trip and a friend was taking care of him and was worried about tryin to catch him so I told him don't bother him and he cleared back up and all my other fish showed no signs of it and this was like 5 or 6 months ago. So is ich like i said earlier kinda like some ppl breaking out in hives?

snakeblitz33

Hives is an allergic condition by food or excitement. Ich is a parasite that lives on the fish. Tangs are more prone to get ich than any other fish (I have no idea why).
Good luck with him and I hope everything works out.

zackp00

Well why does he get it every once in a while and even after I have quarinteened him what is the deal.

S

shrimpy brains

Ich is a parasite that lives in several stages. Since, I assume you did not quarantine him or something else when you originally got it, you unknowingly introduced ich into your tank. Now it is there. Healthy, happy fish seem to be more resistant to getting the parasite, but an unhealthy or stressed fish will have a weakened immune system and not be able to fight the parasite off. The only way to completely get rid of ich, pull all fish and treat in QT with hypo or copper, and leave DT fishless for at least 6 weeks. The parasites have nothing to feed on and die!!
Fro more info, check the disease forum. Lots of threads on this subject!!!

loopy101

i would suggest reading up on this parasite!!! learn its life cycle how it lives and what it takes to kill it!!
simple putting the fish in a qt isnt going to do anything except spread the parasite to another tank.
there are some awesome threads on here i would do a search for it and read up on what your dealing with.

zackp00

Ok so let me get this correct I need to pull all my fish out and put them into my qt tank and my qt tank should not have no sand bed or rock in it....I have to leave them in there for 6 weeks....Ok well what about my corals, and I have a crushed coral and live sand sand bed do I need to remove that now too???? GOD PLEASE HELP ME HERE .........I am about to freak out just when I think things are finally looking good and healthy I have had my hippo for like 7 or 8 months along with everyone except my bi color blenny and emperor angel and he seemed fine I guess one of them stressin him some I don't know but I don't want to loose no fish and I haven't yet except a copperband that wouldn't eat for me...

S

shrimpy brains

Sorry! You only have to pull fish. Leave tank fishless for at least 6 weeks. That will take care of the ich in your tank. You can treat your fish in QT by hypo OR copper. Go to disease forum and read alot or pm beth. I am not an expert on this.

loopy101

yes just relaxe and do alot of reading before dong anything!doing things fast in this hobby is what coases big problems.. ich has a life cycle and i dont fully understand it but i do know the the parasite cant live with out a host. there are several stages to the parasites life. which is why they say to keep your display tank empty of fish for 6 weeks this gives plenty of time for the ich to die. in the QT is where you treet the fish for 6 weeks which has been mentioned hypo or copper hypo if done correctly i think is better for the fish.

zackp00

I have been reading I am going to do some more but want to get my fish healthy and most of all I don't want this crap to happen again. I really am lost on how I got this parasite into my tank except through live rock or something that came in on my rock. I am cleaning my 55gal tank out today to put all my fish in my qt tank is only a 10 gal. I have a 55 that i was getting ready to start and that is the only place I can see puttin all my fish for 6 weeks. Is it ok for all my fish to be in the same qt??? Guys keep pointin me in the right direction....

B

bigtankbigfish

what size tank is your DT? Emporers and hippos need lots of room or they will always be stressed

bmkj02

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/3149301
Hives is an allergic condition by food or excitement. Ich is a parasite that lives on the fish. Tangs are more prone to get ich than any other fish (I have no idea why).
Tangs dont have scales like other fish so they are prone to get ick more than other fish

cranberry

Originally Posted by zackp00
http:///forum/post/3149507
I really am lost on how I got this parasite into my tank except through live rock or something that came in on my rock.
It came in on your fish. If you didn't treat with hypo or copper before being placed in the DT, it came in on the fish.

bmkj02

What I like about my LFS is that all of their fish are in copper treated tanks waiting to be sold except for the corals or liverock. I have never had any problems with them.