a quiet chiller for 210g reef tank?

paxrom

I just got an Oceanic 1/2hp chiller installed today for my 210g will be reef tank. Everything seems ok except for the noise! (it sits in the living room) what's a good, super quiet chiller for this tank size?

sly

My question is do you really need a chiller? What are your temps running without it? Do you have a glass cover on your tank? I removed my cover and replaced them with egg crate and some fans and my temps went down enough to keep it stable at 79 degrees.

paxrom

tank normally runs at 81-82F that is without lighting for the sump yet(it's an Ecosystem filter) and with flourescent light for the tank. Can't imagine how much it will rise when I leave the lights on 24/7 for the sump and get the metal halide for the tank. If I open all the 3 parts of the glass top cover it drops down to 79F, but my floor somehow feels sticky and the room feels humid and salty..yea..
So I bought an Oceanic chiller and there it is, toture me with its
noise. I think I'm gonna return it and get the Teco SeaChill TR20 1/3 HP Aquarium Chiller
will this be any better?

I want a chiller for when my hubby turns off the air conditioner without my knowledge in 90 degree plus weather. Then I saw the price for a 125g. My LFS recommended putting frozen 2 liter bottle in the tank. That seemed like a disaster waiting to happen. It doesn't prevent the not knowing the air was off in the first place.

paxrom

after letting it runs a couple of days I think I'm tolerating its noise. Lucky it doesn't turn on as often, only about 2 hours a day that I notice.
great idea about the frozen bottles..ah well hope this chiller will serve well.

t316

Originally Posted by Paxrom
http:///forum/post/2613240
after letting it runs a couple of days I think I'm tolerating its noise. Lucky it doesn't turn on as often, only about 2 hours a day that I notice.
great idea about the frozen bottles..ah well hope this chiller will serve well.
That was my thought...give it time. It's just a new noise to you, just like the sump or skimmer or pumps once were. It will blend in and you won't even notice after awhile.

C

calvertbill

Getting used to noise isn't the same as quiet. I put my chiller in a crawl space under the room. Do you have another location for it? It'd be on a closed loop so being down (or up) stairs won't hurt.