a secret to fragging SPS

reefkprz

this is a technique I use to frag SPS without shattering the frag as I cut it.
the video explains it. special thanks to my lovely fiance for running the camera.

short and sweet.

reefkprz

I jsut thought of shooting this tip today so I did it because I was trading some SPS and I promised a specific branch and did not want to mess up the branch.

reefkprz

sorry alix no music on that one the finacee was home, I'm not allowed to crank my music when she is home. unless we are getting all liquored up.

sharkbait9

I have to argue semantics with your name (yeah I’m a hick)
A hick would not come up with such good tips to frag.
A hick would say get a bowel of water and your coral you want to frag place the coral in the bowel set it out side on a table. Now grab your 12 gauge but don’t use buck shot or double zero shot cause you’ll your shatter the whole thing you want to use bird shot for a nice clean tight group shot. Gather the pieces and glue away.

spanko

So reef, are you of the opinion when fragging branching SPS that the branch cut off should be mounted laying down to position more corrallites to be able to grow upwards or do you mount them with the branch pointing upwards?

reefkprz

either. placing them in the upright position gives them instant saleability, placing them sideways gives you a better colony in a shorter time but lots of amature hobbyists (people who buy the most frags) dont recognize that and wont buy sideways frags.
just think, how does mother nature frag. you can bet dollars to dougnuts that she doesnt put them upright. no she lays them flat and lets them grow. they are designed by nature to grow fastest sidways after trauma for survival of the colony.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by viv2me
http:///forum/post/2759111
how long have you done fragging?
since about six months after I got into the hobby. started with a zoa colony that a friend wanted a piece of and got hooked on fragging. now I hack up anything that comes my way. in total several years fragging expirience. made many mistakes and always learning new ways to do things.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2759259
since about six months after I got into the hobby. started with a zoa colony that a friend wanted a piece of and got hooked on fragging. now I hack up anything that comes my way. in total several years fragging expirience. made many mistakes and always learning new ways to do things.

and never use a shot gun