A Shot In The Dark

reef diver

I took these as a demonstration of a specific photography technique that appears to work extremely well in reef tanks. It was done by holding a narrow, bright beamed light source, such as a small car flashlight above the tank, less than a centimeter above the water.
The the water diffused and negated the outlying weak light, while lightly spreading the main beam. This allowed for a pitch black background with superior focus on the subject.

This worked better in a tank that is shorter.

reef diver

A Clown In The Dark

This one didnt turn out as nicely as the others with that super-clear contrast, but its nice.
The clown wasn't really that hard to photograph like this, but I do want a better photo. All i did, is I used the same red filter to find the clown. then i turned off the light for a bit to let m,e get used to the lighting. Then I took off the red filter, and light-stunned the fish. Snapped my photo and then that was it...

reef diver

You know it! People on -- have never seen this before except for one person and she does it diferently than I do. Definitely a custom photography technique. My local club already loves it. Heres an example:

She could have done better on more macro type shot, and a brighter, tighter flashlight, but theyre still great shots.