A Slight Dilemna (Have to move)

bcspeed34

Well recently a small crack has formed in one of our water pipes, and the only way to access it is to remove the wood paneling from our walls. My 120 gallon is along that very wall, and will need to be moved somewhere else to prevent any damage.
Tank info:
-Running for 7 mo.
-150 lbs LS
-25 lbs LR
-1 Dragon goby
-2 False percs.
-10 crabs
-5 snails
-CC starfish
So what should I do? I have a spot set out, but I also have some other options. I can get a 55 gallon tank to make things a bit easier size-wise. So do you think I could simply transfer my LS, LR, and some water to that tank while still using my existing sump? Or will I have to put everything in plastic buckets and make a move that way?
Thanks for the help, I never would have expected this.

am00re34

i would try and move as much water as possible... if you only move a small amount and then add a bunch of new water you will have a cycle. Having established sand and rock will help though.
I would suggest getting some rubbermaid containers and maybe try and save 50-70g of water

bcspeed34

So pretty much just empty it all (or most for that matter) into tubs and then just relocate? It will probably move only 10-20 ft

t316

BC...Got any pics? What kind of stand is it on? You can't use a piece of equip. to roll & some muscle to move, or are you moving it completely to a new residence?

al mc

BC..The problem I see is moving the sand. Generally, stirring up the sand bed will cause a nitrate spike. Since your bioload is low, IMO, I would move the live rock and tank inhabitants into the 55 gallon tank along with water and live rock only..no substrate. I am assuming this is a temporary move while the pipe is being fixed and that you intend to move everyone back
to the original DT fairly quickly. If so, I would discard the old sand and start with fresh when you reset the original DT. JMHO

bcspeed34

Well ATM the cam is broken, but I can see if I can get some pictures. The tank is on a wood stand with doors. The sump is not inside, it is an outer sump.
After this is all resolved I will return everything back to normal and begin cycling the 55 to be another tank. I'll see how much time I have before the move.

stdreb27

I'd use both 55 gallon and buckets.
I'd fill up everything, then take your lr out set it on a plastic tarp or something then cover it with wet paper. Then move your tank. Then pump everthing back in. Drop your fish in there. If you can manage where your lr is out of the water for about 30 minutes you shouldn't need to worry about another cycle, just have some Prime on hand in case. If you have enough buckets, you could put the LR in the 55 and submerge it so it won't be out of the water long at all.

bcspeed34

Alright, well I am probably picking up the 55 gallon tomorrow. I have a couple days before we need to move, so that should give me some time to think something through, probably a mix of some of your suggestions. I know I will want to be careful when refilling, I will try and minimalize any stirring of the sand when refilling.
I am most likely moving the tank into our workshop area, as we need to replace the carpet downstairs (it was ugly anyways).

bcspeed34

Alright, so I went to petsmart and picked up a 55 gallon kit. It comes with heater, hood, lights, etc. I'm now setting it up dry in my bedroom (about to wash it out).
So from here I am planning on transferring water from my 120 into the 55 via buckets, and once the height is suitable, insert my LR. The fish will be bagged, as will the inverts in sep. bags, and I will then quickly move my sump into the bedroom and attach the filtration from the 120. Then all I need to do is bucket up the other water, leaving about an inch or two in the tank for the sand, and move the 120 and stand into our workshop and fix the house problems.
Does that sound right?

bcspeed34

Well it is all done now, the move to the 55 at least. I'll post an update tomorrow morning to see how everyone is doing in the tank.