A Smoggy Day in L.A.

gliderjohn

That's what my tank looks like! I can't get the tank to clear!
Tank specs - 46gal. BF, with 45 lbs of LR. 2" Aragonite SB., Coralife Super Skimmer 65, Aquafuge2 refugium w/ 3" SB and Cheato, T5ho lighting.
Parameters - tank cycled after two weeks (that was 3 weeks ago), Ammonia - 0, Nitrites - 0, Nitrates - 0. Using RO water. SG - 1.024/25. Temp. 77.5.
I did a 40% water change after the cycle was complete (the water was cloudy then). I've done a 10% water change earlier this week, and a 10% change this evening.
I've been having trouble getting the skimmer adjusted properly - so not gettin alot of skimmate yet. I've reduced my lighting to about 5 hrs./day for the last 3 days.
Only a CUC in the tank, no fish yet.
I've read a number of other posts on cloudy water, but nothing seems to be working. Does anyone have suggestions? How much skimmate should the skimmer be producing?
I'm seriously considering adding a cannister filter to help clear things up. Would this be a good idea? If so, any suggestions on a good, reasonably priced one?
As usual, any help is very,very much appreciated! Thanks.

ifirefight

As far as skimmate goes.....if you only have a CUC you will not be getting a bunch of it in your collection cup. So after 5 weeks your water is still cloudy?? Whats your PH,ALK and CAL levels?

mie

Adding a canister would'nt hurt, is your sand live or the dry stuff? If it is dry sand did you rinse your sand before you put it in?

reefmate75

i run a magnum and a canister on my sump on my 135 gallon tank never looked clearer
but i have to say, if your water is green then a canister isnt going to help you, if its just debree in your water then it will defently clear it up with the right pads in there

Do you have a powerhead? I have a hex and it was always a bit smokey near the top , but since the powerhead and chemi-pure in my filters it's crystal

gliderjohn

I'm going to have to get test kits for the ALK and CAL. PH = 8.4.
The instructions on the bags of sand said I didn't have to rinse it. This is the only step that I did not err on the side of caution. However, the cloudiness from the sand cleared in about 2 days. It was when the algae started to bloom shortly afterward that the green cloudiness began.

gliderjohn

Originally Posted by Cleve_seahorse
http:///forum/post/2529218
Do you have a powerhead? I have a hex and it was always a bit smokey near the top , but since the powerhead and chemi-pure in my filters it's crystal

I have a Koralia 2.
Now the only other thing I do - I'm setting up a 29 QT. I've haven't started its cycle yet. I just mix my water change water in it and keep there until I need it. I have it at the same SG and temp as the DT. It has an HOB filter (just a simple plain filter pad in it - nlo chemicals) to keep the water flowing.
Top-off water comes from a 30 gal trash can that I use to make and keep the RO water. I keep it heated and use a PH to keep the water moving.
The tank is a used tank. My son got the tank from someone at work. It was originally a freshwater tank. I cleaned it thoroughly with vinegar and water. It set empty for about a month before I started using it.
It doesn't seem to me that this may have anything to do with the cloudiness in my DT. But since nothing else seems to make sense, I thought I'd mention it just in case.

ifirefight

OK, you said you cut your lights to 5 hrs a day. How long were you running them before? how old are the bulbs. Also...does your tank recieve direct sunlight?

gliderjohn

Lights are brand new. I was running them about 12 hrs./day. I have a small light on my fuge that I run opposite the DT lights.
The tank may get about 15 minutes of sunlight early in the morning, but that's about it.

gliderjohn

Wow! Did I luck out yesterday!
Went to my LFS to discuss the problem. This LFS is great! I drive 20 miles and pass at least 3 other LFSs that I wouldn't spend a dime in. There at least 2 people there who really know their stuff and have been right on the money on their advice - matched closely everything I've been learning on this board. However, neither one was in yesterday.
But the man working behind the SW counter wound up being an extremely knowleable and experienced person (to say the least!).
He is currently the Research Project Manager at Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc (API) and holds a Masters Degree in Biology. He has taught Aquaculture, Aquatic Research and Biology courses at college campuses in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Virginia, and has previously owned his own company specializing in pond and aquarium design, manufacturing and installation for over 15 years. He has also built aquatic environments for public aquariums, museums and universities throughout the United States, Puerto Rico and Hong Kong.
He lectures around the world on numerous subjects including aquariums, ponds, algae control
, fish disease, and water quality, and is a fellow fish hobbyist that personally keeps aquariums (he's building a new one at home that has 500lbs of LR!). He volunteers
his time at the LFS when he's not doing anything else!!!
Needless to say, I felt I could trust almost anything he had to say...
After discussing my problem and showing him pics, he wasn't concerned that there is a major problem going on in my tank. Basically, he felt that this was just a part of the algae bloom that happens to many new tanks.
He did recommend a cannister filter - suprisingly, the same one that I was thinking of getting; and adding an algaeside. I bought these as well as test kits for KH and CA. We talked for a good 40 minutes and I was able to gleen a lot of great information from him.
I've set up the cannister and have added the algaeside.
I'll let you know how things progress.
Thanks for all your input!!!

gliderjohn

Well, THAT didn't work! And I won't be going to any of HIS lectures anytime too soon, either!

And I was so sure that someone with his "credentials" would have the answer! I was so frustrated that I began to try anything that sounded like it would do the trick - like water clarifiers. Still no change - the water would partially clear for a day and then go right back to pea soup.

BUT...after a lot of research…and applying what we (my wife and I) learned...WE DID IT!!!! The tank is crystal clear!!
Instead of trying to treat the symptoms of the problem with algaecides and clarifiers, we began to work on the conditions that algae need to grow - light and nutrients.
Testing showed positive for phosphates. There were no fish in the tank at the time, so I couldn’t figure out what could be the nutrient source. One web source said that dead algae could be a source. After my algae bloom, I had what looked like red slime algae that the cleanup crew wouldn’t touch. It was now dead and had been there some time. Previously I didn’t know what to do with it, but now I took it out.
Research on this website and others recommended wrapping the tank in light proof blankets for periods that varied from 24 hrs. to a number of days. My wife bought some phosphate remover and wrapped the tank. We decided to see what would happen wrapping itfor just 24 hrs. (we could do it again after 72 hrs. if we needed). I added the phosphate remover to the canister filter and we waited.
24 hrs. later (with no peeking allowed) we removed the blankets to a VERY CLEAR tank!! It’s been 6 days now and no sign of the algae returning. I’m so thrilled that I just had to post our success!
Is this the definitive answer to green water syndrome? Probably not. One source noted that most algae problems eventually go away on their own. Most aquarists , that source said, will attribute what they are doing at the time to fight the algae with their success. I just know that what ever happened, whether our efforts were key to getting rid of the algae or not, the tank is clear, I’m not embarrassed to show it to visitors, and this whole thing is fun again. We’ve even started adding fish!
Here is a shot of the tank.