a smoking monti?

speg

I got a montipora today and it seems to be smoking out of a small area on top of it. The area is white.. at first I was wondering if the outside area was 'smoking off', but it seems almost like the skeleton within is.. what's up?

speg

It happened right when I put it in the tank and lasted for a good 5-6 hours! The place I got it from said it could be spawning or releasing waste... but who spawns/poos for 5 hours?
It wasn't next to any other coral at all btw. Doesn't mean that chemical warfare couldn't happen between coral though... but nothing in the tank has been effected that I can see.
It's very strange.

speg

It would be willing to spawn upon entrance into a new environment? It's very interesting. I moved it from the location that it did the 'smoke' trick (lol) and put it into another section of the tank. I haven't witnessed any smoking yet, and the polyps seem to be coming out and looking good.
Thanks for the ideas.

mr.clownfish

that happened with some sanils i bought once. the moment i placed them in my tank, they all startded smoking from there mouths. it was cool.

socalnano24

I've read that in nature, abrupt changes in salinity or water temperature can sometimes cause corals and fish to spawn due to the implications of a change in tides.

J

jstdv8

ha, if you have little montis all over in a month you will know :p