A ticked off teacher!

molamola

Originally Posted by Schubert
>How did anyone know that I wrote music? or played an instrument? Just wondering, I just don't remember telling anyone about that, but hey whatever.

You didn't have to tell anyone that. Your user name, your references to the great genius composers, and the story of Schumann's death gave you away

Whether you study music in college or not, there is a place for traditionalist composition today. Keep it up :yes:

molamola

Thanks a lot Ophiura! Now I have an uncontrollable need to stop on my way home for sherbert, but I will probably go for the upgrade and get ice cream instead :D

farmboy

"Bert? It's Schubert with a "C", if you were wondering..."
Does that mean the "Schu" is on the other foot? (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

schubert

>Your user name
Just so you guys aren't confused...my name is Shane Schubert...just so you know....anyway I appreciate the encouragement...so little appreciation for pure passion in music these days, especially in my area. In case you guys didn't know, the Dallas area is the most musically competitive place that I have ever known or even heard about. It's absolutely crazy. Constant stress on music competitions, band/orchestra tryouts, etc. etc. etc. I'm sure it's similar many other places, and I'm sure that at least some of you have been through the competitive world of the music education world. It is rather discouraging though to see so many people wrapped up in the world of competition and trying to succeed in worldly ways...and yet most don't even have a deep passion for music itself...they claim to be great appreciaters of music, but yet they classify Mozart as a composer that "always sounds the same" and is "too boring" at times...they'd rather listen to some ultra modernist piece by Hindemith because "it sounds cool". I'm not making judgements about people's taste in music and I certainly don't think that music competitions are inherently bad. I try to see them as just more opportunities to play music, but I often stray from that in discouragement...allowing myself to revert to apathy and failure in the academic music world. But hey if success was what it was about for me, then there would be no point in me complaining about it. Anyway...maybe some of you have ever felt this corruption of art in areas of your life...sorry to bore you with my rambling.
Well since we're on the subject I just want to brag and tell you guys that I am a member of the largest regularly meeting marching band in the world and we'll be in the Rose Bowl parade in 2006. Long live Allen High School.

molamola

Allen Highschool eh? I once knew someone from Grapevine and I never met a person so totally obsessed with marching competitions and yes, Hindemeth. Hindemeth and Holst. Well, you lucked out on the last name, and you get to keep it :)

farmboy

Yes-Good luck to Mr. Schubert and to Mr. Andretti.
It is good to have everyone here to discuss all these different topics.
BTW The supreme court ruled in the 1970's that one cannot be forced to stand or participate in the Pledge. I believe everyone should show respect even if we don't agree.
Respect cannot be forced either . . . .

easy88

i myself being a kid can say that thier are a few kids who have political view that are thier own and not copie catted off thier parents. i am one of them but thats only becuase my parents give me hardly any guidance religious political or practical
anyways some kids did somehtign leikt hat at my private school they woudlnt say the lords prayer and tlaked through it. i said u dotn half to say the prayer but u better damn well respect it or im gonna kick some ***. thats what this teracher shoudl tell his students u dotn have to say the pledge but u better respect the people who are dying for your stupid kid selves so stand up and jsut be quite but dont sit down and disrespect this spectacualr country

jon.316

I hate discussing politics and religion but I cant help myself with this one. First off, I'm not trying to prove anyone right or wrong but rather am just voicing my opinion. I apologize beforehand if I piss anyone off :) .
scenario 1:
Your son/daughter goes to a funeral wearing a tank top, sandals, oversized jeans (u know, the kind that fits around his/her ankles) and a insane clown posse hat.
scenario 2:
You're invited to have dinner with the President of the United States. Your son/daughter/you show up on Pennsylvania Ave. in shorts, tshirt and flip flops.
It's not about politics or religion, its about RESPECT. First off, a student should at least have enough respect for a teacher to stand up for 30 seconds when asked. Think about it....STUDENT....TEACHER...there is a relationship there. The TEACHER is dedicating his/her life to try to educate and help your child. If he or she cant even do that out of respect they need to be disciplined anyways. Obviously the parents aren't doing a very good job of raising thier child to be a respectful person so i guess its up to the teachers to do their job for them.. Do you think teachers want spend half their day raising your kids for you??? Of course not. That's the Parents job. Parents aren't required by law to be good parents, just not be bad ones. Do you have any idea how many parents dont know as much about their child as their 3rd grade teacher??? Hell i've even met parents that dont even know the name of the school their child goes to. A 14 year old doesn't know what's good for him or her. A 14 year old has so much hormones going on they dont even know who they are. Physically and emotionally they need guidance.
But back to respect tho, anyone and everyone should have enough decency to stand up for the national anythem of any country. I dont care if you're in China, Russia, Turkey Canada or the U.S. When you are asked to stand up to show respect, stand the hell up. Stand up twiddle your thumb and think about

[hr]
for all I care, but stand the hell up and show some respect and just a little bit of class. You probably wouldn't show up at the White house for dinner with the president with anything less than a nice shirt and khakis. And you probably wouldn't show up at a funeral with a C-murder shirt either. If you dont believe in the pledge of allegence, that's fine, dont say it. If you dont belive in the teacher, fine, go find yourself a different one. But at least have a little bit of respect for the people around you that do appreciate what this country has to offer. And for Goodness sake, have a little bit of respect for yourself not to be a fool!