A Week old Aquairum/ What fish?

mechslave

I agree with the consensus of what most on here are saying.
When you get info from here, everyone has the best interests of your fish and your tank in mind. The store is a business which must make a profit.
My tank is 2 months old, with live sand and live rock, and I'm JUST NOW considering putting some other fish in besides damsels. I mean, at a week I'm sure you can't have much algae, bacteria, etc. The live sand and rock and damsels are helping, but I'd just leave it like that for awhile longer and use that time to ask questions here, and most importantly READ. I've spent countless hours here late at night reading threads and have learned more than in any of the books I bought. Don't be in a rush, even if the loss of money doesn't mean much to you, think about the potential waste of beautiful fish.

unleashed

please research this link before attempting to add anything more to your tank .
{edit link - unfortunately the site given is sponsored by several stores)
this will help you out alot also check into a book called consiensous aquariest it is written by robert fenner also the founder of that web site I posted a link for.this will help you astablish a good and healthy tank.this hobby can be a very expencive hobby even to the most experience hobbiest.but can be painfully expencive to those who lack knowledge and good husbandry skills.patients is the key to success

sw65galma

You got scammed by your Fish store...most of us have been..don't worry...read..learn and be patient..
My saying is "the ocean wasn't built in a night...neither will your tank"

theonlykc

Well about the water, everything is at 0 and the ph is 8.2
I have test kits too, the master one, I do it all the time, I do the one for ammoina every other day, and the rest every week, and I also took my water to get tested my the store to make sure that it was the same as mine, the guy did it right in from of me.
and I dont really think he was trying to sell me as much as I was begging him what kind of fish I can buy cause I want something at least! I had 3 Domselfish but they were BAD! They would always fight and start ---- with my dottyback.
What do you think of me getting clown fish and returning the tangs?
The store that I buy fish from have a 15 day gaurentee, so if they do die, I get my money back.....

theonlykc

Originally Posted by ophiura
I am extremely concerned that you will have 2 dead blue tangs...and any other fish.
PATIENCE is key in this hobby, and I am afraid right now I do not see that.
What are your specific water parameters?
Always have them - NEVER rely on the store to tell you if your water is fine, as they are trying to SELL you fish. And they sold you two TOTALLY inappropriate fish for that tank size and age. Clearly, they should not be trusted. PLEASE do not buy any more fish.
Neither the tangs, nor the angel are suitable for a tank that is so young. A butterfly and other tangs may not be suitable for your tank for a long while. A seastar, also, is something that requires a VERY mature tank.
I would strongly encourage you to slow down, buy some test kits, let the tank mature...and READ. Otherwise, I promise you, you will lose fish and lose money. The number of people who CONTINUE in this hobby is much smaller than those who start in it. That is why you can often pick up very cheap used tanks.
Please SLOW DOWN!!!!
I have test kits too, the master one, I do it all the time, I do the one for ammoina every other day, and the rest every week, and I also took my water to get tested my the store to make sure that it was the same as mine, the guy did it right in from of me.
and I dont really think he was trying to sell me as much as I was begging him what kind of fish I can buy cause I want something at least! I had 3 Domselfish but they were BAD! They would always fight and start ---- with my dottyback.
What do you think of me getting clown fish and returning the tangs?
The store that I buy fish from have a 15 day gaurentee, so if they do die, I get my money back.....

theonlykc

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Also buy a good book like Michael's "Pocket Guide to Marine Fish". It gives a good, brief explanation of what tank size a fish needs, compatability, etc.
No idea where you have been reading alreay about Tangs, but you need to throw that literature away. I've got a SMALL Purple Tang in my 210. He bullies everything in the tank. No way should you put multiple Tangs in a small tank....
well I have the Saltwater Fish Aquarium for DUmmies book but I read alot online, It's just like I was telling someone else on here, you read one thing and your told another....its tuff!

theonlykc

Originally Posted by James983
Don't feel bad. We've all been there before, but those fish are most likely going to die if you dont bring them back soon. The key to this hobby is to go slow, read, find a trustworthy fish store, and test your own water.
I have test kits too, the master one, I do it all the time, I do the one for ammoina every other day, and the rest every week, and I also took my water to get tested my the store to make sure that it was the same as mine, the guy did it right in front of me.

theonlykc

Originally Posted by unleashed
please research this link before attempting to add anything more to your tank .
{edit link - unfortunately the site given is sponsored by several stores)
this will help you out alot also check into a book called consiensous aquariest it is written by robert fenner also the founder of that web site I posted a link for.this will help you astablish a good and healthy tank.this hobby can be a very expencive hobby even to the most experience hobbiest.but can be painfully expencive to those who lack knowledge and good husbandry skills.patients is the key to success
the link didnt come up....

fishboy091

Has your tank been cycling for 2 weeks? Some people say you should get a couple of raw shrimp from a meat market or something and put them in there and let the tank cycle. After that you could probably get a pair of clowns, I got some today and I'm so happy with them. :jumping:

theonlykc

Originally Posted by fishboy091
Has your tank been cycling for 2 weeks? Some people say you should get a couple of raw shrimp from a meat market or something and put them in there and let the tank cycle. After that you could probably get a pair of clowns, I got some today and I'm so happy with them. :jumping:
lucky! I'm jealous! How old is your tank? and how many fish do you have in there?

sw65galma

Originally Posted by theonlyKC
lucky! I'm jealous! How old is your tank? and how many fish do you have in there?
You have to "train" your tank to handle the load. Just like weight training...
You can't just goto the gym and expect to bench press 600lbs,
If you put fish in your tank early that's what you are asking your tank to do.
I related it to weight trainging, because you commonly hear the term bio LOAD (like a weight)
Think about your tank for a second...there are millions of bacteria in there reproducing and dieing just as quick.
You add a fish, and they have to convert your fishes waste (amonia) to Nitrite....then another set of bacteria notice there is tons of nititrate and start eating that and turn it to Nitrate...then after that...more bacteria eat the nitrate and turn it into nitrogen gas that exits the tank.
Now for example sack...lets say you need 1 million bacteria of each type (3 types)to support a fish.
And now lets say it takes 1 hr to grow 100,000, that would take 30 hrs to grow 3million bacteria....(its actually alot longer)
Now in between that time, your fish excretes Amonia...there isn't enough bacteria to eat ALL the amonia, so it starts to concentrate...Now imagine you are sitting around breathing your toilet....now the amonia eating bacteria catch up and now you just have to deal with the smell, then the nitrate bacteria catch up and you are doing better...
That's a cycle and that's what you are putting your fish through...Not a very nice humane thing to do.
best thing is create amonia source and over time your levels go up then down...
Now do you see why your levels are Zero? You didn't give it a good Load to weight train it.

theonlykc

ok well I have a quick question, I heard that you can buy Bio stuff that makes your cycle be done faster, is that true? have you heard about it? or used it?

corally

ok well I have a quick question, I heard that you can buy Bio stuff that makes your cycle be done faster, is that true? have you heard about it? or used it?

I think that stuff is basically a waste, it really is better to wait for your tank to cycle naturally.

corally

I think that stuff is basically a waste, it really is better to wait for your tank to cycle naturally.
It's hard to be patient, I know! I was there myself not to long ago. :joy:

sw65galma

Id only use that in an emergency, not have to rely on it though.

psufan43

I would defintely take the tangs back, also as far as any butterfly goes i would not recomend that for a while, not only do they need great water, Most of them need specail care to eat and what not. I have several butterflies, and I have been in the hobby for a long long time they are still by far the hardest to keep healthy.
As far as cycle goes. There is a prodcut called cycle. It is not a miracle worker but it will speed the cycle process up somewhat. Also i have found that live sand also helps to cycle the tank. If you want you shoudl get 1-2 damsels are maybe even a clown fish, they are nice looking fish, for the time being and are very hardy. and I find that they are great for cycling the tanks, Because they are so hardy.
I would recomend going with something like triggers or you said coral beauty, are pretty hardy fish. stuff like tangs and butterflies come with time. Tangs like well established tanks, because they feed off algie, and also most tangs require pristine water quality.
You can find alot of answers to questions in books and on these boards.
One more thing as far as fish stores goes unless you really no the person and have been going there for a while they will sell you anything. Any person who wants to sell you 2 tangs in a 60 gallon knowing your just starting out, strictly wants a sale.

corally

Originally Posted by psufan43
I would defintely take the tangs back, also as far as any butterfly goes i would not recomend that for a while, not only do they need great water, Most of them need specail care to eat and what not. I have several butterflies, and I have been in the hobby for a long long time they are still by far the hardest to keep healthy.
As far as cycle goes. There is a prodcut called cycle. It is not a miracle worker but it will speed the cycle process up somewhat. Also i have found that live sand also helps to cycle the tank. If you want you shoudl get 1-2 damsels are maybe even a clown fish, they are nice looking fish, for the time being and are very hardy. and I find that they are great for cycling the tanks, Because they are so hardy.
I would recomend going with something like triggers or you said coral beauty, are pretty hardy fish. stuff like tangs and butterflies come with time. Tangs like well established tanks, because they feed off algie, and also most tangs require pristine water quality.
You can find alot of answers to questions in books and on these boards.
One more thing as far as fish stores goes unless you really no the person and have been going there for a while they will sell you anything. Any person who wants to sell you 2 tangs in a 60 gallon knowing your just starting out, strictly wants a sale.

Most people on here disagree with cycling a tank with fish, plus you will need to get rid of those damsels if you want any other fish. They are extremely mean.

coachklm

Originally Posted by mystic7
Like me, you will listen to the people who tell you that you can put 3 tangs and everything else you want into your tank.
Like me, you will end up with a tank full of dead fish. Seriously. Listen to the people telling you to take it slooooooow. You will save yourself a lot of grief and money.
Of course, if you're like me, you won't listen.

best response right here ....lol

i saw it coming too...lol

another day, another newb, with another bad LFS. ***)

sw65galma

Originally Posted by psufan43
If you want you shoudl get 1-2 damsels are maybe even a clown fish, they are nice looking fish, for the time being and are very hardy. and I find that they are great for cycling the tanks, Because they are so hardy.
Big NO NO!
In the older barbaric days (like a year or two ago lol) we used to do that...
Not any more!!
There are many other ways to create amonia and a cycle without having to put fish through torture...
Imagine having to sit in a Septic system until the bacteria took over? Why would you do that to you fish.. :notsure:

salth2oguy

I have a 55 gal FOWLR and it has been three weeks and still cycling. I am getting the diatom alge which is a good sign. I have also been impatient, but to curb that problem a bit I bought 20 blue legged crabs.
They are interesting to watch for the mean time. They are also beneficial to the tank.
I would rather spend 30 dollars on 20 crabs than on one fish that is going to die. A week seems to fast to go through a cycle. I feel that it hasn't started. I would hold off. If you start buying fish and you go into a cycle and they die you might just get discouraged about the whole thing.