? about a Chocolate Chip Star

mandysam

I have had my chocolate chip star for over a year now. But I have noticed with in the last week that he has some white discoloration on the inside of one of his arms. I spot feed him a piece of seaweed whenever he comes to the top (about twice a week). Is this something I should be worried about? Also should I be offering a more selection for food? Thanks for any help!! :notsure:

ophiura

Yes, by nature they are at least omnivores, if not more carnivores. I would definitely start feeding more meaty items...shrimp, krill, frozen silversides, mussel, clam, squid and shrimp pellets. Definitely diversify.
Any changes in your water parameters? What are your nitrates?

mandysam

My parameters are all good (as of 4/11) planning to test tonight and do a water change. My nitrates were at 10. Seems I can never get them lower than that.
I'll pick up some different food for him tonight. LFS thought it was strange that he would eat from me at all. I'm glad I asked what his diet should be!!! What are there life span?

ophiura

I'm glad you asked too!
They are basically the easiest stars to spot feed, and so I strongly suggest taking advantage of that. Strange the LFS didn't know that, but then I heard one being described as reef safe too...and that they are not.
They live for years and years, though I imagine their exact lifespan is unknown.
Your nitrates are fine at 10 :)