? about mandrians

lietz06

So I have a mandrian in my 200 g tank. I had a couple friends over n we were checkin out the tank. We were lookin at the mandrian and he spirted this white stuff out of his head it looked like. Does anyone know what that is or is that normal? Thanks:)

flower

I couldn't keep one alive, so I am no expert. Could it be a wound? Fish battles look like big white spots when they get bit. The white stuff coming out could be flesh from the open sore.

tito3054

Originally Posted by lietz06
http:///forum/post/3199362
So I have a mandrian in my 200 g tank. I had a couple friends over n we were checkin out the tank. We were lookin at the mandrian and he spirted this white stuff out of his head it looked like. Does anyone know what that is or is that normal? Thanks:)
Yes it is mine does it occasionally I dont Know whayt it is Ive had mines for over a year.

I think you might be referring to its feeding. Mine when it is searching for pods will do a quick motion forward and sucks the food in, but then you see a cloud of debris (or white stuff) come out of its head. This is just stuff it pulled in from the gravel, rock or whatever when it went for the food.
Cool fish, I love mine.

novahobbies

+1 Normal behaviour after he's sucked up a bite to eat. I see mine doing this all the time. It's due to the suction of their feeding mechanism. Seahorses do this to, just so you know. Both species have partially closed opperculae over their gills, so the only exit water has after it passes over the gills is a small hole rather than a large slit.