about morays and aggresiveness

piercedkitty23

Hello,
I am new to the forum and I have a question or 2 . I am not new to saltwater but this agressive fish thing has taken me by storm. I currently have a black edge ( semi-tame ) and a mean as all get out undulated( sold under that name ) moray .. The black edge somes out swimming and investigates when I am cleaning the tank. The undulated is soo mena that I sometimes do not even want to put my hand in the tank.. Another thing I did not think of is now I have a tank with rocks in it and not too much else.. What kind of fish do you reccomend ( I was thinking trigger but will they pick at the eels?) Also is this normal of the different types of morays having different degrees of aggressivness? (eg snowflakes are almost allways NICE) I hope to get soem imput from you guys I have been reading soem of the posts and I cant wait to hear what you have to say .. Also about the (undulated???) moray he is a dark greenish brown with a golden honey comb type patteren he also has a green/gold margin on the very top of him .. Is this the correct name for him ?? any ideas??

lionfish

LionFish says......
Well, first off welcome to the board. Next, lets see here. Eel, huh? Well, they certainly aren't the nicest of fish so that limits some of the fish you can get. You mentioned a honeycome pattern which leads me to be it is a Tesselata eel. Thay are downright nasty fish that can easily kill other fish. I would actually recommend just a couple fish with a Tesselata. Those being: a Trigger, a Lionfish, and possibly a Grouper. You never mentioned the size of your aquarium how large is it?

grouperhead

Gymnothorax Tesselata is mean as heck! He will be the boss of that tank. For fish I would reccomend anything big mean and tuff. some puffers, triggers, emp. snappers, some groupers, maybe a lionfish. I remeber though that skirk had one of his lions eaten by a tesselata. Could you keep and undulated trigger in there? or maybe a clown, both are mean as heck, but the undulated is imo the meanest fish there is. all of the adult tesselatas i have seen were singles. Later, bo

fishysam

piercedkitty23 i had a question about your blackedge moray. How big is it? Do you know how big they get? I'm looking into getting a moray, do you recommend the blackedge?

piercedkitty23

Fishysam,
I love my blackedge. He is only about a foot and he is beautiful .. Tan with irregular sized white spotes and then a black stripe/spots extending down the dorsal area . As for the other eel he is not a tessalated.. It is a type of honeycomb pattern but it would be as if the honeycomb were just the outyline in a gold color on a green eel also witht the gold extending dosaly in a stripe. The blackedge is a good eel and I think I should have just stuck with him :D ohh well I guess I have learned.. I will post a pic of the un identified eel ..
MG]null[/IMG]

coconuttelegraph

actually, the LFS that you bought your undulated moray at had him for sale under the correct name. Gymnothorax undulatus is the latin name. Undulated morays are nocturnal, and in their natural habitat will feed on fishes, molluscs, and crustaceans. From the info that i have gathered, they are an agressive species so care must be taken when chosing tankmates. He can get as large as 150cm.

piercedkitty23

150 cm huh ( I have no clue as to how long that is :rolleyes: ) Thanks I could not find much info on him but he is VERY mean I may have to find him a new home as he scares me...

pufferlover

That was agreat picture wish I could learn how to do that. I am so computer dumb I am lucky I get back here every day.