? about new fuge

michelle13

I recently set up a fuge with live rock and cheato, I'm wondering how long it will take to see a reduction in hair algea? Also, how long should my lights be on? I am currently running it completely opposite of my tank so it's on for about 11 hours or so. Thanks!

spicey

wow thats funny i seem to be wondering the exact same thing lol. i did add some red leg hermits and now there isnt much hair algae left but since i added that fuge i have lots of brown diatoms.

reb

what is chaeto? I,m in the process of building my fuge and not sure of everything I should put in it. Fuge will be 29gal.

norcalreef

Kip,
I was under the impression that Chaeto likes a period of darkeness...think i read this on the board somewhere, beleive it was waterfaller1.

michelle13

Thanks for the info. Right now I will just run the lights opposite of the main tank because of the heat. My MH puts off enough heat, I don't need the addition of another heat source! Fall will come soon enough and then I can leave it on 24 hrs/day. I think I heard that too....that cheato likes a dark period?? Can you confirm?

reb

what is the benefit of having xenia in your fuge? what else can you have in there with the xenia?