? about Rose Bubble Tips

jambi0n

One of my friends at my LFS has some Rose anemones. One bulb tip and the others just regular long tips. He's going to give me the bubble tip, but I want to know everything about these before I even get one.
First my 90gal tank has been up for 6 monts now, and my perimeters are - a stable;
PH - 8.2-8.4
Amm - 0
Ites - 0
Ates - 0
Cal - 480
SG - 1.025
Right now in my tank I have 2 maroon clowns, purple firefish, sand sifter goby, and a baby naso tang.
For my corals I have 2 hammers, 2 frogspawns, 2 red mushrooms and 2 bubbles.
The only anemone that I have is a regular long tip anemone which my big maroon clown is hosting.
The question I have about the Rose is that I heard that they like to move around all the time to get Good water flow, lighting, and just to find a right spot to relax. The Bubble tip that the LFS is always moving around, but sometimes I see it under some LR. Is that normal? I thought they need a lot of light. Also what other type of food would be suitable for feeding? Again, my friend feeds it some shrimp and some silversides as well as some mysis shrimp. Also, if they like to move around a lot, will they do any type of damage to the other corals, or to the other anemone?
Any thoughts and advice would really be appreciated.
Thanks,
J

T

thomas712

My BTA's have not caused any damage to my corals, and most of them do not move around., least not in my 90 gal.
Personally I would try to talk you out of adding another species of anemone as you already have one, two different species could be a problem, if they ever meet.
Other than that you don't mention your lighting, but if you already have an LTA I would hope that it is good enough. In my personall experience BTA's are really easy. The rose does tend to be a bit more moody and touchy and I've known some very experienced posters here that have had trouble with them.
Any type of marine type meaty foods chopped fine will be alright, the ones you mention are fine.
Make sure that there is enough rockwork for the RBTA to climb on with plenty of good places to hid its foot.
Thomas

murph145

if u have good lighting then they shouldnt move around after they have settled... they might move arouind in the beggining to find there spot...
ive had many anemones and in my reef i only keep one RBTA and it seems like he has the least potent sting compared to other anemones my ohter ones can sting good and will hurt many corals when my rbta hits other they seem to be fine... just my experience

jambi0n

thanks for the info guys.
The type of lights I have are the 48in Outer Orbit 2x150W 10K HQI-MH 1/ 2x130W Dual Actinic & 6 Lunar Lights.
So Thomas, if I do decide to put the RBTA in the tank, should I get rid of the LTA?

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by jambi0n
So Thomas, if I do decide to put the RBTA in the tank, should I get rid of the LTA?
Some people do have success with a sand dwelling anemone like an LTA and a BTA or RBTA that lives on the live rock. In the end its up to you to decide. I would just like you to know that if ever the twain shall meet there will be a war resulting in one if not two deaths in the tank.
One question that seems to arrise with this is if the clownfish goes from one anemone to another does it carry the mucus or stinging cells from one anemone to the other causing problems...
The choice is yours.
Thomas

murph145

i had a LTA and a RBTA in my tank for the longest time... my tomato just hosted my rbta and never paid attention to the lta..... i just recently got rid of the lta cuz it moved and was stinging my sps corals which is a no no lol
the purple lta was on the left hand side of the tank and the rbta stays in the center as u can see but all the sudden the lta moved to the other side and he was badly stinging other corals which sucks cuz i had him for so long i didnt want to get rid of him