? about skimmer

wade163

ok...so I have had my skimmer since late Jan early Feb. And I have yet to empty the cup. I have only seen like 2 or 3 times where they was "stuff" in the cup, but none to there point where I needed to empty it. So any ideas on why my cup isnt runith over. I have no filter on the tank, just all live rock. I have 4 fish total, with a shrimp, a star, and some hermit crabs. ANY THOUGHTS???

wade163

I want to say Seaclone. I have a 75 gallon tank...and none of the "ewww" stuff...whats the problem?

michaeltx

there may not be enough organics for it to pull out yet or you may need to adjust the bubbles to a dryer foam in the chamber to push the proteins up to the top for the collection cup can catch it.
Mike

wade163

i took the bubble thing off...the thing to contol the buttles (a lil black thing). So if i put it back on...what should i put it on?

wade163

yea..its off...and sure as I am settin here typing this, the cup is filling up...but it never gets to the point where I need to empty it. But yes...the like black this is OFF

I use a seaclone 100, you need to have the black air adjustment knob on the air line.
1.) put it back on
2.) open the valve wide open, you will see that the J line will have air in the top of it
3.) slowly close the air adjustment knob, each time waiting about 30-45 seconds for the adjustment to take affect. Keep closing the valve until the air bubble at the top of the J line vanishes
4.) Wait 30-45 seconds, the back-off the valve (open it) just slightly
Now leave it, it is now adjusted. You should see some skimmate over the next few days, it may take a few days for it to break in. If you don't get any skimmate after a week, then either you don't have anything to skim (which I doubt) or the unit is defective in some way.
People do not speak highly on this skimmer, but I can state that it works great for me.

sammyw

If the $ ever allows, the Euro-Reefs are AWESOME. When I switched, I saw more skimmate in one night than in three or four days of my old one. Great addition.

jonrn

i have ETSS reef devil deluxe skimmer. it came with a catalina pump. my tank is now cycling for like a month, skimmer is on. im getting like a green tea output. i can easily adjust the skimmer so the bubbles will turn out more dry or wet, but nothing thick coming out(perhaps like what you guys said, theres nothing to pull for the meantime) now the question...i did not place the black air adjustment knob on the catalina pump coz im gettin froth already(as far as i know), do i still need to connect that or ill be ok?

michaeltx

the knob gives you a fine tuning adjustment. without it your kinda stuck with what the skimmer pulls you can get a dry froth which is what your really after. to thin and you are skimming more water and salt from the tank. I would add it back in and adjust it to a dry foam it may not pull that much out but in the long run it will pull out more quality scum than quantity.
Mike

wade163

WELLLLL.... put the lil black nob back on...and did some fine adjustment...and MANNNN...it has pulled SOOO much more from it. I havent had to empty it yet, but I probly will in about 48 hrs.

michaeltx

see they put those little knobbies on there for a reason LOL sorry I had to LOL
you can probably still adjust it more as needed if there is alot of liquid in the cup you can make it more of a dense foam.
Mike

wade163

i mean...i was still gettin some with the lil thing off...just not enough, and it didnt seem like I was gettin my money worth....but I guess that I am now. its been goin since I did it at around 3 or so...but the lil bubbles are back, and i know that those will die down in about 4 to 7 days...no biggie!

jonrn

so i added the black airline tubing but nothing happened like no air coming out but when i try to blow in it(just to check that its patent) thoses bubbles are coming out. What i did...i connected the airline tubing to an air pump (top fin air pump for 10 gallons, i guess that was the smallest)with the valve on it so i can regulate the air flow and it was working, havent really seen the difference coz i just did it like 3 hours ago .the only thing i can tell is...if the air pump is on, the bubbles move up slower on the neck of the skimmer compared to when its off(just the catalina pump working)...it rises faster. what do you guys think about this, will i stick to my project or just use the skimmer without any airline tubing?

michaeltx

Originally Posted by jonrn
http:///forum/post/2572494
so i added the black airline tubing but nothing happened like no air coming out but when i try to blow in it(just to check that its patent) thoses bubbles are coming out. What i did...i connected the airline tubing to an air pump (top fin air pump for 10 gallons, i guess that was the smallest)with the valve on it so i can regulate the air flow and it was working, havent really seen the difference coz i just did it like 3 hours ago .the only thing i can tell is...if the air pump is on, the bubbles move up slower on the neck of the skimmer compared to when its off(just the catalina pump working)...it rises faster. what do you guys think about this, will i stick to my project or just use the skimmer without any airline tubing?
can you get a picture of what you are talking about?
what kind of skimmer do you have?
Mike

jonrn

etss reef devil deluxe with catalina 2200 pump. i dont know if ill be able to post some pics coz ive tried several times but it was saying that it was too big.

yukon

I had a seaclone 100 on my 55gal and was constantly adjusting the little black nossil. I found that if I would weekly clean the pre-filter of debris and airline of any salt creep that it preformed much better. Also a monthly cleaning of the power head also helped. Hope this helps

michaeltx

max size 976.6 KB
max width 650
max height 550
these are the numerical value of what the picture has to be to post.
you shouldnt have to have an air pump added to the skimmer the air pump will create large bubbles that dont really do well for skimming. The smaller the bubbles the better with alot of current in the chamber.
See if you can get a pic that is postable is not email me the pic at mickadee@hotmail.com and I can post it up for you .
Mike