Acans in PC's?

cafero702

Ive read on a couple websites acans juist need moderate lighting and power compacts will do is this true???
I forgot my wattaged i will check but if they are up high in my tank will they do good?

aggies50

I used to have an acan in my 10 gallon nano under pc lighting. It grew great in my tank, but I also was pushing 9 watts a gallon if I remember correctly. So I guess it depends on your wattage.

pleasants9

what size tank and light wattage?? Mine is in a 55 and is on a 4in sandbed doing fine, so thats roughly 15? inches from 4x55W PC's

cafero702

OK my Power compacts are two 12000K daylights and two True actinics. All 4 said they were 96watt
My tank is a 140 gallon i was planning on putting them up high at the top of my tank.
Are these good lights alot of wattage???

loopy101

acans do not need alot of light to thrive... i have 260watts of PC over a 55 gal tank. i keep my acans on the bottom and they are doing very well...

cafero702

Originally Posted by loopy101
http:///forum/post/3099038
acans do not need alot of light to thrive... i have 260watts of PC over a 55 gal tank. i keep my acans on the bottom and they are doing very well...
What should my calcium be at dont they need rather good calcium params??
And do you think Blastos and Duncans would do good too??

mace

Originally Posted by cafero702
http:///forum/post/3098995
OK my Power compacts are two 12000K daylights and two True actinics. All 4 said they were 96watt
My tank is a 140 gallon i was planning on putting them up high at the top of my tank.
Are these good lights alot of wattage???

U have 2.74 watts a gal I wouldn't try them jmo.

imarkspeed

I have a 180 with a 3inch sand bed so like 2fft deep not sure . but i 3 175mh bulbs with a 180w pc's . i have no gsp's and last time i put a green cap and it just faded then died

loopy101

Originally Posted by imarkspeed
http:///forum/post/3099349
I have a 180 with a 3inch sand bed so like 2fft deep not sure . but i 3 175mh bulbs with a 180w pc's . i have no gsp's and last time i put a green cap and it just faded then died
lights may not be the issue as to why the corals died.....

pleasants9

sounds like water condition/ params to me, it took me two try with caps just because of my water quality but the seocnd try is doing fine under my PC's. I think you have enough lights for the acan, but it would have to be in the upper half of the tank. You can also feed it, to help supplement nutrition, i feed mine mysis sometimes when I feed my suncoral. Id say get a cheap acan from a local reefer and see how it does and go from there.

cafero702

Originally Posted by pleasants9
http:///forum/post/3100129
sounds like water condition/ params to me, it took me two try with caps just because of my water quality but the seocnd try is doing fine under my PC's. I think you have enough lights for the acan, but it would have to be in the upper half of the tank. You can also feed it, to help supplement nutrition, i feed mine mysis sometimes when I feed my suncoral. Id say get a cheap acan from a local reefer and see how it does and go from there.
Well i put mysis in my tank everyday for my tang i was also thinkging about snow plankton
do you spot feed???

loopy101

i would forget the snow plankton. i spot feed all my lps corals just cuz i like to watch them eat
lol but i feed them about every 2-3 days. which feeding them once a week is more then enough to keep them happy..and i feed them frozen foods like cyclops. or any other fine chopped meaty foods...

T

tizzo

Fwiw, I'm trying to get my acans to grow up the back glass and they are in 90% shade and are doing rather well. They've been there, probably just under a year and I have many new heads.
They are bright orange with white pinstripes.
But as loopy mentioned, I feed them.
Lps's will easily supplement lower lights with meaty foods.

cafero702

Well my GSP's opened today

anyways i have been searchen and found some MHS i am plannen on keeping my PC/s and also adding my new MHs in the canopy my canopy id very large lol would this be a good idea??? i forgot the wattage but im pretty sure the new MH's are 400 watts each and i was plannen on getting 2 of them so that would be about 1200 watts is this good for my 140???
800 watts from the MH's and 400 form my power compacts's