Acans

kq25

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
http:///forum/post/2919417
I usually see a small baby form..with feeding the acan about every 3weeks or so
Wow.That is pretty fast.How often do you feed them?And how fast do the baby polyps grow?

mr_x

the polyps come pretty quickly, but the skeleton takes a long time to catch up.
feed them meaty foods.

mr_x

na. i have a before and after of a favia. that might give you some idea, as they grow at a similar pace-
a year and a half ago-

today-

kq25

Wow.That is awesome growth.How often do you need to feed acans.I also have been reading that they do not need much light,so would 130 watts of pc be good?

mr_x

you don't need to feed them at all. they just do better when you do. how deep is your tank?

afboundguy

I feed my acans about 2-3 times a week. Some of them grow fast some don't. I have had one for about 6 months that had 2 1/2 heads and now has 15+ while some I got at the same time only grew from 1 head to 4 or 5...

OK, I'm new to Acans so this question may sound stupid , but here goes. As far as them growing new heads and such, do I need to place a disc or rock next to the colony so that the heads have someting to spread onto ala Zoa, or will the entire colonly just expand the skeleton/rock that it is on? I hope this makes sense.
I'm just not entirely clear on this. I have an acan that has about 5 heads and small heads are forming at the edges of the colony. Will the entire thing just continue to expand or will the new heads need to spread to something else?
Thanks

mr_x

it will continue to expand, and grow skeleton underneath like a favia or maze, but it will take a long time. if you can get a rock situated in such a way that the polys will grow on it, go for it.
take a look at this green lord i recently purchased. you can see all the skeleton that was built underneath rthe flesh. i imagine this colony was about basketball sized before they chopped it up.