Acclimating a brittle star

javajoe

I am planning on buying a brittle star today, and have read that starfish can be difficult to add to your tank becuase they are very sensitive to water changes.
What is the best way to acclimate a brittle star? i have heard people mention the 'drip' method, and am not quite sure what that is.
thanks in advance for the help...

I dont understand this much, I have two tanks and in each I have added a green brittle. The most I did was float them for a while, then dumped them in. Both are very healthy, and extremely hardy by the way. Im sure the more delicate( feathers) are more sensitive.

mlm

The way that I do it is float them for 15 miuets and the let some tank water and let them sit for another 15 minuets then I put them in the tank.

nasotang00

I think the best way to acclimate anything is to float them and every 5 minutes or so add about 5oz of your tank water into the container with the specimen. The best luck that i have had and the best advice i got from someone is to add the same amount of your tank water to that of the fish store water in the container. slowly though. example: if the bag has about 3 cups of water, you should, over time, add 3 cups of your tank water. at least 25 minutes.
My .02 ~

javajoe

thasnk for the help- i actualyl ended up getting 2 brittle stars, an emerald crab and a mess of snails---- all of them are doing just fine-- thanks!

S

schroder_reef

Thats great, I'm glad to hear that everything is okay!