Acclimating Flame appears to be bobbing for air

tacks

Currently acclimating flame angel from this site. He/She appears to be bobbing for air. It's swimming around in the bucket (drip acclimation) trying to keep it's nose out of the water. Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Tacks
Currently acclimating flame angel from this site. He/She appears to be bobbing for air. It's swimming around in the bucket (drip acclimation) trying to keep it's nose out of the water. Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else?
Fish will do just about anything during acclimation. You are 100% sure the bucket is a "fish only" bucket? A basic question, but contaminates can make a fish behave the way yours is...so just rule that out and follow the exact procedure and I think you'll be fine.

leftyblite

I had a flame angel do the exact same thing when I got it. It even jumped out of the bowl I was using to acclimate and landed on the floor. I put a lid over the bowl after that. The bowl was in my storage as a fish only bowl. Good luck!!

jtrzerocool

when i acclimated my Lemon Peel Angel a few days ago it did the same thing...i was worried for a few minutes but he ended up fine...i dont think you have anything to worry about...

perfectdark

Bobbing for air is an indication of poor water quality, oxygen depravation in the water or stress. During the acclimation period I would say its stress. You may want try and keep everything dark, cover the container your acclimating in, shut your tank lights off etc.. it may calm the fish down.