Acclimating Flame (Bobbing for air?)

tacks

Currently acclimating flame angel from this site. He/She appears to be bobbing for air. It's swimming around in the bucket (drip acclimation) trying to keep it's nose out of the water. Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else?

tarball

Remember to keep the hose above the water in acclimation container. That way drip will strike the surface of the water which in turn will help add oxygen to water.
remember fish breath through their gills not a nose...

tacks

Hose is way above surface. Been about 40 minutes and he's still doing this. Is this normal?

tarball

I don't know that's its normal, but as long as the color is good on the fish & its some what active. It should be ok.
Are you using water from the DT which has completely cycled?
I'm sure the fish will settle down when water level rises in container....

tacks

Yes. I'm using DT water which has already cycled. Thanks for the help. I'll update once he's in the tank. About an hour and a half from now.

perfectdark

Its could either be a water issue or stress. Did the temperature of the water he was in fluctuate quickly? Is the fish getting acclimated with a lot of activity around and bright lights? just a couple of thoughts.

tacks

Just an update. The fish are in and doing well. I covered the bucket while acclimating the Flame and he stopped "bobbing for air"
Seemed to work. The three YT were schooling at first, then one of them dissapeared. I have about 100lbs of rockwork so hiding is not that hard. When I woke up this morning, the three were schooling again. I didn't QT these fish. I know, I know, but before you let me have it, I discovered a leak in my QT the night before the fish arrived. Very slow leak, but a leak none the less. Had to dismantle and will be trying to find an empty 30g tank to replace it. I saved the water in a rubbermaid with a heater and power head and put the filter sponge in my sump of the main tank. Now, I am crossing my fingers that everything will be ok with the new fish.

tacks

Flame is dead, all others are fine. This 15 day guarantee is pretty shady. You have to spend an additional $79 to use your "store credit". My tank is not ready for that nor is my wallet after dropping $150 on last order. I basically bought a fish doomed for death and for that, I have to spend another $79 to get it replaced. I e-mailed SWF with no response (although it's only been a day). I used this site because I've never had any problems and fish have always been healthy. Now I am starting to re-think things. I can't even find a phone number to speak to someone.

dinki

You're mostly correct about the guarantee. Where you're not correct is that you have to spend $79. You actually have to spend $79 AFTER the refund amount is taken out. So if you got a $40 refund you'd have to buy $119 worth of stuff before you can even place the order. Of course this is not including the $9.99 shipping + $9.99 fuel charge. I think it's pretty rotten that the refund is applied before rather than after the subtotal. I do have to say that I knew the guarantee going in, and the folks at SWF.com did work with me on my issue. Will I order again? Probably so.
Now don't get me wrong, this is way better than one of our LFS which has zero guarantee and outrageous prices.
Please let me know if I'm mistaken about the use of the refund before the subtotal.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Tacks
Flame is dead, all others are fine. This 15 day guarantee is pretty shady. You have to spend an additional $79 to use your "store credit". My tank is not ready for that nor is my wallet after dropping $150 on last order. I basically bought a fish doomed for death and for that, I have to spend another $79 to get it replaced. I e-mailed SWF with no response (although it's only been a day). I used this site because I've never had any problems and fish have always been healthy. Now I am starting to re-think things. I can't even find a phone number to speak to someone.

If I remember correctly I have read where others have had issues its not uncommon and SWF has good customer support. Acclimation shock is fairly common, which is what I believe IMO is the cause of death to your angel.

tacks

Can I still add a Flame. I received the credit and would like to try another one. I have had the three Yellow Tangs in there doing well for about 3 weeks now. My plan was to introduce them together but that obviously didn't work. The Tangs are only about 2-3 inches. In order to meet the minimum $79 to use my credit, I'm thinking of adding a Fridmani, Diamond Goby, a few Fighting Conches, and of course the Flame. Is this too much at once? 125g.