Acclimating new clownfish, help please

stbknox

Just purchased 2 aquacultured false percula clownfish from this website. Im acclimating them as instructed. They are in the styrofoam container they shipped in. My coincern is they are nudging each other around and often get a little rough, should I be concerned with this?
Im also acclimating a bubble tip anemone, Im just floating it for 30 minutes as instructed, looks very brownish, should I be concerned with this?
Thanks for any help!

stbknox

Just purchased 2 aquacultured false percula clownfish from this website. Im acclimating them as instructed. They are in the styrofoam container they shipped in. My coincern is they are nudging each other around and often get a little rough, should I be concerned with this?
Im also acclimating a bubble tip anemone, Im just floating it for 30 minutes as instructed, looks very brownish, should I be concerned with this?
Thanks for any help

lexluethar

The clowns are fine, they are displaying dominance.
The bta is HEALTHY, which is why it is a brown color. White anemones are bleached, have expelled their zooantha and should be avoided.
Should to me like everything is fine, congrats on the new additions.

stbknox

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2560832
The clowns are fine, they are displaying dominance.
The bta is HEALTHY, which is why it is a brown color. White anemones are bleached, have expelled their zooantha and should be avoided.
Should to me like everything is fine, congrats on the new additions.
Thanks Lex, I also have a condi in this tank that I have had for about 2 years, I just moved him into this new tank i set up a few weeks ago. He looks bleached, very white coler almost translucent, and has the purple tips. Should I just pull it out and get rid of it? I knwo its not good sometimes to have 2 different species of anemones. He looks healthy, fully extends and seems to be doing good. I have a 400 watt MH, hamilton reefstar for lighting.
Thanks

cdangel0

Anytime you have 2 identically colored fish in a small space they will show some aggressiion. Yours may already be trying to determine which one gets to be the female (fish are weird).
The BTA should be fine, if it were white then I'd be nervous.

michaeltx

they are always going to be a little aggression just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesnt get worse.
as far as the BTA most are a brownish color you dont want a white or light cream colored anemone.
Mike

lion_crazz

As others stated, the clownfish are fine. Just acclimate as normal.
Anemones should be a darker color. They are starved and unhealthy when they are bleach white or incredibly pale.

stbknox

Thanks for all the help.
This is a new tank I just set up about a month ago, used a little living sand and about 60 lbs of established rock. parameters have been excellent. I did have a condi anemone from my old tank that I transfered over. Its a bleach white, almost translucent but acts just fine. Should I go ahead and remove it? I know I have read that you shouldnt mix different species of anemones. If its unhealthy and will give me issues with my new BTA should I just go ahead and remove it?
Thanks

lion_crazz

No, keep it, but try to bring it back to life. Feed it vitamin-enriched foods and it should come back.
The two anemones should be fine together, though.

michaeltx

yeah just because its bleached doesnt mean it wont make it but will need some TLC as you nurse it back to health
Mike

stbknox

Thanks again. I started neglecting my old tank, had it for 3 years and was my first tank. I had 260 watts or power compact lighting, usa satellite or something like that. One ballast went out about a year ago and I never fixed it. My new tank has a 400 watt MH Hamilton reef lighting, he seems to be loving it, was very shy at first, had to get acclimated to the light. What do you all suggest I feed it and do I need to feed by new BTA? I had been using the Kent microvert liquid supplement but Im not sure that it is wise to use.
The new BTA stuck to a rock where I wanted to position him, he is starting to open up now, my lights havent come on yet, they will in 1 hr. Im suprised he attached there, Im sure he may move if the spot doesnt suit him. Should I delay my lights for awhile or just let them come on as normal. Thanks

stbknox

Do you all think I have a good shot of my clownfish hosting the new BTA? How long does it take for them to usually start hosting? Thanks

michaeltx

the BTA will move to where it wants to be so no worries there
you will want to feed meaty foods like mysis, store shrimp, calm, squid, that kind of foods when ever he will take it if its bleached. and weekly or so after that
as far as the lights just let them come on as the normally do.
as far as hosting it really depends on if its tank raised or not tank raised sometimes dont know what to do with the anemone and take a while for it to learn .
Mike

stbknox

Its really funny watching these 2 acclimate, one of them is a little bigger than the other, he has been doing alot of the bullying, a little bit ago the smaller one finally started pushing back, it went up to it and did a few very rapid shakes and you could almost tell the big one was a little suprised. They seemt o be doing well together though.

stbknox

I also worry a little about my powerheads. I have 3 Hydor Koralias, I dont see anyway to put anything over them to stop an anemone from getting sucked in since their intake is huge. Any suggestions?

stbknox

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2560898
yeah just because its bleached doesnt mean it wont make it but will need some TLC as you nurse it back to health
Mike
I was reading another post and I belive it might be a pink tip haitian???? It has a pink foot and cream color tentacles with purple tips. from the post I seen it sounded like this was ok. Thoughts????