Acclimating Zoo's

jerth6932

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
The only part is that I have to drive 4 hours away to pick it up, but it's still worth it. It's a slim chance for me to get it cause there's two others ahead of me. I'm working extra shifts at work to pay for all of this. My partner says the canopy and the rocks & corals are out of the other budget, I'll have to do that on my own....lol....By working these extra shifts, I can make it happen, I get paid enough to pay for the canopy all at once and all the rocks & corals. I hope I can last through this month and hope my hard work would pay off. It's just this month, next month I go back to my regular schedule, maybe...I have a large Life Insurance bill coming....Here's the lace rocks being put in my tank.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/209263/new-tank-in-progress-day-1#post_1593545
Tanks looking great... do you have your Aquascaping done in your head already? Do you know what you want it to look like? I know what it feels like to work your A off for something that you want!!! I do it like that all the time.... Pick up extra hours for odds and ends!!!!! I just switched jobs so I could get back into school, So I get a dollar more an hour! But I don't know if the need is there for me to work the OT!!!!!! I hope so!!!!

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Jerth6932
Tanks looking great... do you have your Aquascaping done in your head already? Do you know what you want it to look like? I know what it feels like to work your A off for something that you want!!! I do it like that all the time.... Pick up extra hours for odds and ends!!!!! I just switched jobs so I could get back into school, So I get a dollar more an hour! But I don't know if the need is there for me to work the OT!!!!!! I hope so!!!!
We have an idea on the aquascaping. But I really need those rocks to really design it, it all depends on their shape. We're gonna put in those hawaiian base rocks Thursday when we get the chance. Just wanted the tank to clear up so we can see what we're doing. Clean the filters again tonight, they were very dirty which was expected with all that sand storm going on. If I don't get those rocks, I'm just gonna use the money for my dog to go in to have heart worm test done next month and have her spayed as well. If I do get the rocks, she'll have to wait until the following month to have those done which might be better since she is going in anyway in June. I'm really afraid to take her in and have her spayed since she likes to climb the stairs all the time. I'm gonna block off the stairs when she gets spayed....One of us will be here full time in two days to watch her for progress. :happyfish

jerth6932

We have an idea on the aquascaping. But I really need those rocks to really design it, it all depends on their shape. We're gonna put in those hawaiian base rocks Thursday when we get the chance. Just wanted the tank to clear up so we can see what we're doing. Clean the filters again tonight, they were very dirty which was expected with all that sand storm going on. If I don't get those rocks, I'm just gonna use the money for my dog to go in to have heart worm test done next month and have her spayed as well. If I do get the rocks, she'll have to wait until the following month to have those done which might be better since she is going in anyway in June. I'm really afraid to take her in and have her spayed since she likes to climb the stairs all the time. I'm gonna block off the stairs when she gets spayed....One of us will be here full time in two days to watch her for progress. :happyfish
Dogs are really reziliant... they bounce back form that stuff really quickly! But the aquascaping.... will be intresting to see what you end up with! So when are you going to find out if you are going to get that rock or not?

mikeyjer

Dogs are really reziliant... they bounce back form that stuff really quickly! But the aquascaping.... will be intresting to see what you end up with! So when are you going to find out if you are going to get that rock or not?
Not getting those, someone picked them up tonight....What makes me mad is that I wanted some corals from him too, but he sold them as well before he consulted me. I was the first to be on the list for those corals!! Not a right way to do business....Oh well, I guess I'll have to look else where. There's a local reefer friend that's selling some at $5/lb, we'll see what happens....We'll start stacking those hawaiian base rocks this Thursday. My lights would be here tomorrow, yippie!!! At least one good thing comes out of this whole thing.... :happyfish

jerth6932

Not getting those, someone picked them up tonight....What makes me mad is that I wanted some corals from him too, but he sold them as well before he consulted me. I was the first to be on the list for those corals!! Not a right way to do business....Oh well, I guess I'll have to look else where. There's a local reefer friend that's selling some at $5/lb, we'll see what happens....We'll start stacking those hawaiian base rocks this Thursday. My lights would be here tomorrow, yippie!!! At least one good thing comes out of this whole thing.... :happyfish
What lighting did you end up going with? And that is very bad bussiness that he didn't tell you he was saleing those corals out from under you! That isnt cool at all! 5 dollars a LB is what I pay at my LFS for my LR, so that is normal to me! But I think it is fair...... Not a really great deal, but fair!

shrmnator

anytime i want something and need to wait for it i always put a deposit down that way it WILL be there when u return for it
just some food for thought

mikeyjer

What lighting did you end up going with? And that is very bad bussiness that he didn't tell you he was saleing those corals out from under you! That isnt cool at all! 5 dollars a LB is what I pay at my LFS for my LR, so that is normal to me! But I think it is fair...... Not a really great deal, but fair!
I just got my lighting in today. It's 2-250w MH retrofit kit with ARO Electronic Ballast and 20k XM bulbs. I LOVE the colors that the 20k XM gives out. I finally found the Epoxy stick to glue my rocks together with. Got lots to do tomorrow!!! :happyfish

mikeyjer

I'll be getting 125 lbs of live rock next week. Got it at $350, even though it's a bit more then the last deal that I missed, but it's still a good deal, plus it's local, no need to travel a long distance area. :happyfish

jerth6932

I'll be getting 125 lbs of live rock next week. Got it at $350, even though it's a bit more then the last deal that I missed, but it's still a good deal, plus it's local, no need to travel a long distance area. :happyfish
That does sound great! Sorry I hadn't written back in a while! I was preoccupied with a new job and all! So I have been bussy! But your tank is looking way good! And I am glad to see it going in a positive mannor!

mikeyjer

That does sound great! Sorry I hadn't written back in a while! I was preoccupied with a new job and all! So I have been bussy! But your tank is looking way good! And I am glad to see it going in a positive mannor!
Once those rocks are here, I'll just need to get another skimmer. I'll be Looking for one once the tank is ready for it. For now, I'll just run my HOB remora. Can't wait for the canopy to get here. It should be here before the end of next month. I'll post more pictures once the rocks are in. I'm gonna split the 125 lbs up a little, mostly in the 90, but I'll put some in my 55 when I remove some corals, a lot of corals are attached to pieces of rocks, so I remove some and replace some as I go. I know how work can take up your tank, I've been working extra shift to pay for these stuffs and I'm getting burnt out already in one week....I should get to bed now, I couldn't get up this morning for work, I was late.... :happyfish

mikeyjer

Didn't hear your response on it so far....The brown diatom has started....There's BUNCH of live on these rocks. There's mushrooms and some sort of softie on it as well. There's Tulip Anemone and bad Majano & Aiptasia Anemone as well. I've been treating those with Joe's Juice. There's also about 6 baby Serpant Stars, some small brittle stars, some snails, tons of pods and bristle worms. Some sort of algae growing on'em as well. So it was a very good buy!!! Hope to hear from you soon.... :happyfish

mikeyjer

New update, just got my custom made canopy today, going to install the lights sometime soon. I have added a Royal Gramma the week before last, it only lasted 3 days. Everything tested fine so it must be a bad one. I went ahead and did a large water change last Friday night and on Saturday night I added 2 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Blue Leg Hermit, and a Banded Goby. So far they're doing just fine and the Goby is eating pretty good. I'm gonna try the Royal Gramma again. Haven't heard back from ya, haven't seen you on lately either. Hope to hear from ya! :happyfish

jerth6932

New update, just got my custom made canopy today, going to install the lights sometime soon. I have added a Royal Gramma the week before last, it only lasted 3 days. Everything tested fine so it must be a bad one. I went ahead and did a large water change last Friday night and on Saturday night I added 2 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Blue Leg Hermit, and a Banded Goby. So far they're doing just fine and the Goby is eating pretty good. I'm gonna try the Royal Gramma again. Haven't heard back from ya, haven't seen you on lately either. Hope to hear from ya! :happyfish
I was gone for a while... I am sorry! But That sounds great!!! It seems to be progressing well!!! I am glad it is all coming about for you.... would love to see updated pix if you get the chance!!!!

mikeyjer

I was gone for a while... I am sorry! But That sounds great!!! It seems to be progressing well!!! I am glad it is all coming about for you.... would love to see updated pix if you get the chance!!!!
Was wondering what happened to ya, how's the zoos??? I'm just preparing for my meeting that I'm hosting next week for the reef club. I'm changing jobs as well, going to my new job tomorrow....here's the link to my tank pictures, will not post a new one until I get my MH's installed... :happyfish
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/209263/new-tank-in-progress-day-1/20#post_1659576

jerth6932

that is cool what kind of job are you going to start? My zoo's are going nutz, but I think I have flat worms, and I want to know how to get rid of them! They are all over the whole tank! Is there anything that I can get to rid my tank of them????? This tank has tanken ya a while on set up... but I bet it will be worth it once set up!

mikeyjer

that is cool what kind of job are you going to start? My zoo's are going nutz, but I think I have flat worms, and I want to know how to get rid of them! They are all over the whole tank! Is there anything that I can get to rid my tank of them????? This tank has tanken ya a while on set up... but I bet it will be worth it once set up!
It's another restaurant job. I know the owner pretty good, I've known her since I was little kid. I call her aunty. She's training me to manage the place when she leaves on vacation. It's a japanese restaurant, very nice place!!! Best way to rid flat worms would be flatworm exit by salfert, I was told by some reefers to dose double the dosing amount. Wait for awhile to watch the flat worms die off and siphon as much as you can see out of your tank. Then start running carbon and do a water change. I've never had any, but that's what I was told. Yea it's taking me awhile to set it up because of budget problems. Now with the new job, I'm not as stressed anymore plus I am able to work my full shift making the money I was making before. So I can start paying off some bills fast!! It will be worth it once it's all finished. :happyfish