Acclimation Process.

I was reading the acclimation process on this website page. I was wondering exactly how it works. I understand you want to float the fish and then get a piece of maybe LR for one end of the tube and tie it to it and set it in the tank then tie a knot near the other end and put that in a bucket...but what i was confused about are you going to drip the water in slowly and let it fill up a bit then add the fish? and then drip in some more to top it off then let him stay in there for a while and then what? i guess i read it and it confused me a little.

payton 350

ok....you recieve your fish in a plastic bag with water.....float it to get the temps matching(tank water and bag water).... then take a tube(just like for the airline airpump tube) tie it not tight yet, set up a syphon from tank water to the bag and adjust the drip from the tube so it drips about 6-8 drips a second....when the bag fills up a quarter of what the volume is in there or approx one cup of water ....remove one cup or equal amount to what was put in there and repeat process.....so fill with water , remove water, fill with water, remove,etc.....now the tricky part is just controlling the flow of the drip.........and do this for 45mins to an hour sometimes 3-4 hrs depending on what you are acclimating.....this is basically the same process as the old technique of adding a cup of water then removing a cup but it's less stressful on the fish and better chance of survival for them...also discard all water ...do not add any to tank ....lfs water is different than your's.....they also may use copper and you don't want that in your tank or other possible microscopic critters
if anyone has anything else to add feel free to add or correct above...

Originally Posted by Payton 350
ok....you recieve your fish in a plastic bag with water.....float it to get the temps matching(tank water and bag water).... then take a tube(just like for the airline airpump tube) tie it not tight yet, set up a syphon from tank water to the bag and adjust the drip from the tube so it drips about 6-8 drips a second....when the bag fills up a quarter of what the volume is in there or approx one cup of water ....remove one cup or equal amount to what was put in there and repeat process.....so fill with water , remove water, fill with water, remove,etc.....now the tricky part is just controlling the flow of the drip.........and do this for 45mins to an hour sometimes 3-4 hrs depending on what you are acclimating.....this is basically the same process as the old technique of adding a cup of water then removing a cup but it's less stressful on the fish and better chance of survival for them...also discard all water ...do not add any to tank ....lfs water is different than your's.....they also may use copper and you don't want that in your tank or other possible microscopic critters
if anyone has anything else to add feel free to add or correct above...

that makes sense, thank you.