Acclimation question

tacks

I just ordered 3 Yellow Tangs (small 1.5" - 2"), 1 Flame Angel, and one small Green Chromis (free gift from SWF). These will all go into a 125g. FOWLR + Sand Bed. My question is, can I acclimate the 3 yellow tangs all in the same bucket? I know they will come in their own bags but can I combine them to acclimate or do I need 3 seperate containers when acclimating? The Flame and Chromis will be acclimated seperately. Just trying to plan ahead.... 5 containers or 3....

tome

I personally would acclimate all 3 tangs seperatly. The way I see it is that they are probably stressed after shipment and could use a little time alone. I am not very familiar with keeping several yellow tangs so hopefully someone with more experience with them can reply.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Tome
I personally would acclimate all 3 tangs seperatly. The way I see it is that they are probably stressed after shipment and could use a little time alone. I am not very familiar with keeping several yellow tangs so hopefully someone with more experience with them can reply.
I agree. The quieter the better during acclimation.The tangs may come in separate bags,but the PH (and ammonia level) will be different, even tho swf may have had them in the same tank. I always use a method similar to swf's drip, no matter where fish come from. If you have several fish, an airline gang valve (cheap-WalMart) works very well to control water drip rate.Also, get some SW mixed asap, you'll go thru a lot more than you think. BTW, the styro shipping box can also be used as a bucket. If very small fish are shipped in the same bag,then (IMO)they can be acclimated together. If damsels com in any form, take them to the nearest lfs and trade them.

Yellow tangs, in groups of 3 or more, generally do well together--if they have enough room (IMO, you do, if the list in your profile are still your only fish). Just two together is war.

florida joe

IMO if you can go with five containers you are better off less stress less waste matter to rise ammonia levels as you acclimate I hope you are going to quarantine the fish first I understand that’s a lot of fish to put in a QT I hope you have an appropriate tank size, you do not have to answerer this but did you buy multiple fish because of the shipping charge

tacks

Thanks for the replies. The profile is up to date as far as what's in the tank minus the diamond goby (jumped out
). There are a few reasons for multiple fish. I couldn't decide which to add first, the tang or flame (decided to introduce together and the chromis came as a free gift). Another reason was the tank seems so empty. I know rushing is the last thing you want to do but I figure these are all small fish so the bio-load will not be that much. Anyway, I will definately acclimate all fish seperate using the drip method from this site (worked great last time).

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Tacks
Thanks for the replies. The profile is up to date as far as what's in the tank minus the diamond goby (jumped out
). There are a few reasons for multiple fish. I couldn't decide which to add first, the tang or flame (decided to introduce together and the chromis came as a free gift). Another reason was the tank seems so empty. I know rushing is the last thing you want to do but I figure these are all small fish so the bio-load will not be that much. Anyway, I will definately acclimate all fish seperate using the drip method from this site (worked great last time).
You should be ok bio-load wise; but if you don't have a QT, really watch the new fish closley, the more fish added at once, the greater the chance of a stress-induced parasite outbreak. Not trying to give you something to lose sleep over, but have a plan "B" ready just in case. BTW, Flame angels don't tolerate much copper, so hypo is a must if you should have problems...but lets stay positive and assume you won't. Good luck, that's going to be a pretty group of fish.

florida joe

Just a thought if you do have to hypo your DT at some time it may be a good idea to start storing your RO water some were if you can it will take a good amount of RO to bring a tank your size down to 1.009