Achilles Tang Question.

rach4194

I just got a new book and was reading that to have a Achilles Tang you must have a Yellow tang or it will die.
This is the only book I have read this in. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

rach4194

I quote "It must be kept with a yellow tang or it will die. The waste of the yellow tang provides a trace element necessary to the achilles survival.
The pocket Guide to Aquarium Fish
By Alice Burkhart, Richard Crow, and Dave Keeley
published 2002

rach4194

Am I the only person who has ever read this? Has anyone else ever heard of this? Does anyone have an Achilles tang? If so how is it doing?
I am considering purchasing this fish, so I'm trying to find out everything possible about them.

psufan43

I have kept achilies tangs before, they are a tough to fish to keep, but i never had a yellow tang, before, and my achilies have always done great. Just have great water, and alot of algie, and make sure to get a healthy one.

rach4194

Do you still have one? How long did it live? Do you thing this having to have a yellow tang to keep one alive is a bunch of crap? Or maybe if yours didn't live very long it is because you didn't have a yellow tang?
.:notsure:
Thanks for your response.

greatfullreefer

IMO its a bunch of crap(as you so elegently put it :D ) In the vastness of the ocean do you think a little bit of poop will prolong the lives of Achilles? If there were a test kit for Yellow Tang poop do you think you would find any present in a water sample? Hey i could be wrong but it just sounds silly. I am pretty sure that most tangs of the same genius (sp) have almost identical poop :joy:
Hey Bang, whats your take on this?

psufan43

Mine lived for over 2 yrs, with no yellow tang, only reason they died, the summer of 03 we had a terrible storm we had no power for over a wk i lost my whole tank. I have always done good with. TRUST ME A YELLOW TANG IS NOT NEEDED. if you get one and it does not too good it has nothing to do with that. its either because your water is not good. or he just unhealthy.

ophiura

Achilles tangs are definitely not at all easy to keep...one of the "most delicate tangs" group with powder blues, gold rim, etc. Should only be attempted, IMO, in large mature tanks but with no need for a yellow tang! I don't get that one...maybe some scientific thing?!?!?! I just can't figure that one out. I mean, they would eat totally different things in different tanks to begin with...maybe this is an extremely small sample size (the author has one with a yellow, therefor...!). But nonetheless, one of my ultimate favorites.

rach4194

Thanks for the feedback, I wonder why they would write that in the book, if it is not true.
My ex just got one 2 weeks ago and here I am insisting he gets a yellow tang. lol I guess don't believe everything you read. Here is the pic he sent me of it. He is Beautiful. It's also one of my favorite fish.

T

tizzo

Ummm, no offense but if I turned on the lights in the middle of the night and one of my fishes came out from behind a rock and he looked like THAT, well I'd hafta run for the hills!! :scared: :nervous: :scared: :nervous:
hahahahaha:hilarious
:hilarious

T

tizzo

OK, if that book your reading says that THAT is an achilles tang, you should pitch it. Just throw the book away cause it's gonna cause all sorts of problems in the future.
But seriously, I hope you posted the wrong pic again cause that's a longnose filefish.
But this is fun.:D
**EDIT** I see you beat me to it.:D

rach4194

Sorry, that is also one of my fav fish.
I know what a achilles looks like.
I don't know what is wrong with my pc.
I'm pretty sure I figured it out. I think this is the right pic. For some reason my pc is not letting me view before I send so hopefully this is it..
:notsure:

T

tizzo

Click on the pic, click file under those options choose "save as" and then change it to a JPEG file type....