Achilles Tang - Surviving?

kevintang

I am pretty new to the reef tank business. I have asked these questions to a few people but I was hoping for some more opinions from the board. This is what I currently have:
125 gallon
2 400W MH bulbs
2 "purple" VHO
2 moonlights
110 lbs of live rock
1 Kenya Tree Coral
1 Powder Blue Tang
1 Aus. Flame Hawkfish
1 Royal Gamma
3 Bartlett Anthias (1 male)
I have been battling a temp problem and have just broke down and ordered a chiller. What size (hp) for my tank to bring it down 3-4 degrees?
My questions:
1. What is your opinion of having more than 1 tang per tank? There is a large food source (algae). I have heard it is ok to have different body shape tangs (Powder Blue/Yellow/Naso).
2. Has anyone had success with a Achilles Tang? I heard they are very difficult to keep.
3. Angels with corals? I have heard it is a fish by fish basis. Some pick, some don't (1 flame may pick yet another may not).
4. Mixing different anthias? I was considering adding 3 bicolor anthias to my 3 bartletts. Will they fight?
5. I have never ordered fish online but I have been seriously considering ordering from swf.com. Any input good/bad?
Thanks for your help!!

dogstar

I have a 1/4 hp on my 180g acrylic
I have Sailfin, Hippo, Yellow, Purple and Kole, Kole is best for algea control IMO
Never had Acillies but I beleive they need longer tanks than most.
I have a Flame and a CB together w/ no problem w/ corals.
I have M and FM Larytale A. and M and FM Squarespot A. w/ no problems
Never ordered fish OL but lots of LR but not from SWF

bdhough

I would keep anthias seperate. Your tank isn't quite big enough. Angels are in two categories. Dwarf and Regular. Dwarfs have the best chance of NOT eating corals. Most Regulars will and do eat corals. I would look into any tang not shaped like your PB tang. That includes the achilles and any other powder tangs. Wanna know more pick up a book by Michael Scott called Marine Fishes. Tell you most anything you'll want to know about marine fish youll see in the hobby....

sov82

I have an Achillies Tang Credit for this site....its for a free achillies tang. You would have to pay shipping.
I'd sell it for $25 if you decide you want one...email me - sovereign82@hotmail.com w/ Subject FISH

stacylrt

I had an achilles tang once. He got ich just as soon as he hit the water. My other tangs bugged him and I had to take him back to the lfs were I purchased him. They told me that they cannot live alone. They require a school of them inorder to survive like 6-7 of them. I have a yellow, and a sailfin tang and I cannot hardly add any other tangs due to they are mean to other tangs. I would add these two last or add them all together if I were you. Thats just my opinion.

scubadoo

Achilles Tang...very hard to keep so better to go with another fish. Two tangs can be kept but you are right...better that they are of different body shape.
Angels can pick on corals...a crap shoot. I am a firm believer that fish are more likely to pick at something new added to a tank...then something that was in the tank previous to their arrival...JMO
I have heard mostly good things regarding this site. I did witness a post claiming swf.com sold the poster sick fish...the post was removed within 10 minutes. I guess if this site only leaves positives and removes negatives you only see positive. Not certain if the removal of negative posts against swf.com is common place on this site. You would have to monitor the board constantly if this does happen.
Their prices seem resonable and if you purchase over $79 you get fee shipping...but I beleive they charge a 10 dollar service fee...so it is like a $10 reverse rebate to swf.com. Still, don't think too many sites offer the shipping deal.

scubadoo

Originally posted by Masala4080
watch, your post will get removed.....well along with mine, since its pointless.

Won't be the first time I have to clang erasers after school and serve detention

shawnhardy

if you go by the body type rule, the achilles, powder blue, powder brown and gold rim are all the same body type.