Acropora Question

ags

A LFS in town is selling a 12inch stalk of acropora for $50. The LFS told me the specimen is from a local person's tank that was recently torn down. Thus the cheap price. It says a few independent stalks coming off. I do not have the lighting to keep acropora but figured it might be a good investment to buy and sell to another LFS. It is unusually big. My problem is I don't have an eye for healthy SPS as I do not keep anything other than montiporas. I was thinking frag a piece for myself, to experiment with more light loving SPS, and sell the rest to a different LFS.
Is this a good price?

reefnut

Why not leave it for someone with the environment to keep it healthy... or for someone who actually wants to take care of it??

ags

I specifically said I do not plan on keeping anything more than a frag. And honestly doubt I keep even that as I have never fragged acropora. The SPS tank at this particular LFS is extremely unhealthy and their corals are astronomically overpriced. Thus the coral would never sell. I was given a deal on it because I helped the guy out with a couple of customers.

reefnut

Sounds like most LFSs... lol, I understood you're not planning on keeping it. Acro corals can be very delicate. Most likely it's already very stressed for the move and from the current conditions it's living in. Moving it again, fragging it and moving it yet again could ultimately be its demise... but maybe not.

ags

That is basically the advice I was looking for. I will let it be. Damn shame though. Nice piece, very big. And to my untrained acropora eye appears healthy. Hope someone has an eye for SPS and rescues it.
Thanks,
Ags

reefnut

Sorry, I should have said that in the first place. If you could keep it for a few months before fragging and reselling I'd say go for it. You never know though... they can surprise you sometimes. I have had acros I was sure were goners and they are back now healthier than ever and I have had acros I thought were doing really well that decided to RTN. Unless you can visually see something wrong, it's hard to tell their true condition.

ags

I agree with your first post as I never buy something I know won't thrive in my tank. Also, my SPS experience is limited to a year of keeping montiporas and from everything I have read acros are on another level in terms of care.
Hopefully someone with the right lighting will come along and buy it. I doubt it though. Too many other LFS in the area that are cheaper and with healthier systems. Maybe if it is still there in a week I will break down and buy it.
Thanks for the help.
Ags